News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Late season fishing

Started by Riley Smith, Dec 13, 2023, 06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riley Smith

Sorry, no boats.

I had told my BIL that the rain would run the fish out. But it didn't.  The ground was so dry everywhere that not as much as usual made it to the river. There was some interesting water coming down the river on the gently falling tide the other night. Some clear, some milky, some saline and some fresh. Reminded me of that blue Atlantic water mixing with the muddy Escravos River. 

Still, visibility was pretty good for the most part, and it is exciting when you hook up, because immediately you can see the fight under the lights of the pier. I managed three fish with my granddaughter the other night. And lost a few, too. But it has rained again since then. Ah well, we had fun and all she talked about were baby sharks. We forget how exciting things like that were when we were very young. Luckily I didn't catch any sharks, (although I HAVE before).

And so the fishing truly dwindles down; if I hadn't run with Reese when I saw the strike, we would have missed the bite. I only fished one lure, a white shrimp ( as this IS white shrimp season). And THIS time, there were no bait snatching white trout. Everything that hit had "speck" written all over it. I missed several while Reese played. Finally a few drops fell and the fish quit as the tide washed them out. I wish I had that LAST bite back. The fish slammed the bait and then dropped it before I set the hook. It was a good fish. They all were. I love to catch specks. Reese had a blast. And I did too.    as
Riley