You're probably getting old when;

Started by rfrance0718, Jan 01, 2024, 10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfrance0718

Feeding the squirrels is an important part of the day. I actually end up feeding the Squirrels and the Blue Jays. In order to slow the jays down I bult this feeder. The Squirrels can "army crawl" in from the ends and the double layer of chicken wire thwarts the jays. They can still get some of the peanuts, but it evens the playing field. I use unsalted peanuts in the shell (people food) that I buy at the grocery. The hardware store has big bags of nuts in the shell, but the cost per pound is nearly double! This way I can nibble on them as well.

We had a dusting of snow this morning and all of a sudden all of the birds are here, with visits from Blue Birds and Cardinals for the first time this winter.  You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.   

Norm L.

Love that feeder idea. My mother had a feeder outside her kitchen window where she could watch the birds while at the sink. Every time I'd make it squirrel proof the squirrels would show that they were smarter.

rfrance0718

A kitty! Oops, that's not a kitty. Big skunk, not exactly night time, but getting dark towards the end of the day.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment. And then this guy showed up. Everyone else left at that point.You cannot view this attachment.   

Frank B.

feeding squirrels????  I do everything in my power to get rid of them.  Over the years they have done conservatively estimated, $5000 worth of damage to my house, shop, vehicles and boats.  That's with me doing all the repair work so no labor in that estimate.  I've trapped them and put them in the witness relocation program, used Sonic repellers, and purchased many gallons of ammonia and high powered squirt devices to saturate the areas of my attic where they seem to always find entry.  I've put rat wire on all my gable vents and they chew through it and get in. A couple of them chewed through electrical wiring and self eliminated.  They've chewed up expensive blocks on my sailboat, the landing gear wheels on my trailers, the electronic fuel ignition wiring on my truck, covers on my lawn equipment, pulled insulation off the walls to make nests, and the list goes on.  Feeding them, the only feed I'd give them is poison. Haven't done that yet but it is on the list.

rfrance0718

Hmm, I've never had a problem with them. Mice, yes. They get into the garage and last year even into our kitchen. They got into the attic above my garage and chewed holes in my inflatable. This year I seem to have eliminated them for the most part. I'm still trapping some in the main attic, but no signs of them in the garage. The traps are untouched and there are no turds. I can see myself declaring war on the squirrels if they start making trouble. 

Brian N.

I've had my battle with racoons the last couple of years. Last year was the worst, they took up residence under the winter tarp and just kept coming back, leaving a disgusting mess. Vinegar spray, dryer sheets, critter deterrent powder all had limited success. This year, so far, I went with a lighter, loose fitting winter cover for the boat that lets some wind flow through (but keeps the boat 95% dry). That, plus we now have a new big tom cat who patrols the driveway and backyard! Mother nature has her hierarchy. We also have a new owl (great horned) who recently has made a home in a big oak tree. Also as far as critters on my roof (not attic) I recently installed stainless steel spikes along the gutter and roof line (two rows) where they were getting on. 100% effective.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Riley Smith

It IS a big part of my day! It means I'm sitting on the patio and my hunny is usually there too. We're relaxing between the never-ending toil of life and the birds put on a show. Mostly we get chickadees, titmouse, sparrows, and cardinals. Once we were sitting there and I noticed the several birds at the feeder were frozen. Not even breathing it seemed. They must sat like that for a while...frozen. I don't know how they knew but they did. And then the hawk came through like a rocket targeting one that flew. Luckily he missed but those feeders don't only feed squirrels  ;D
 I had a strange occurrence the other day. It was time to trim hedges and that is mockingbird home 20. So I was busy cutting away and the bird came and sat not two feet away and looked me right in the eye. I don't know what it was trying to say but they're almost tame anyway. I've often wondered if I got some crickets (bream bait) if it would take it from my hand.
Riley

rfrance0718

I read once that the birds sound out warnings when danger is present, and that squirrels are great mimicks of the birds and  they participate in the alert as well.

We have several types of "bird only" feeders, with squirrel baffles that  work well.

We have one feeder that swings out from our deck rail on a 4 foot arm. The squirrels will eventually figure out a way to launch themselves out to it.

I'm wondering if Frank's bad squirrels are red squirrels. I've heard that they are really pesky.  We have gray squirrels, who seem to play nice. I'll let you know if they turn on me.

Riley Smith

The cormorants fly in to the nearby cooling reservoir every evening. There are so many oaks around you can't see the birds in a great vee until they're directly overhead. But you can hear them before they arrive, whistling through the air. The same sculpture that allows them to swim is naturally aerodynamic, and on terminal final approach, they can come down from height in an amazing show of sight and sound. They take a form that would make a F-22 pilot turn green with envy. And tell me that birds aren't thrilled with flying....the one on the end of the right hand vee did a snap aileron roll in jubilation yesterday evening as the sun sank low and they swooped in with a great whisper in the sky. In retrospect, feeding the birds at the Labrot House is an interesting concept. I guess I could stake out a rabbit and save some of the fish I catch!

J/k.....J/K but how much slack should I leave in the rope?

You cannot view this attachment.
Here's our Great White :)

One of the almost adult bald eagles that hang around in the winter.
Riley

Norm L.

This board is going to the birds.

There were times when I would drive the 24-mile causeway 7 days a week. Many people hate the drive. I love being out over the water even if it is 25 minutes.
You don't dee as many sailboats out, nor power boats, as you did before Katrina. The marinas are rebuilt and the slips full but very few seem to go out more than a few miles from shore.
It'd fascinating some parts of the year when there is a good wind from the east the bridge blocks the wind creating an updraft. The gulls and pelicans ride it for miles, and you see them coasting from your passenger window as you go along at 65 mph.
In this cooler weather they gather on the roofs of these power substations that are locates about every 3 miles. The greatest gatherings are mid-lake with gulls, pelicans and anhingas, and a few cormorants sitting on the warm roofs.