News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Extreme Low Tide

Started by Riley Smith, Jan 06, 2024, 07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riley Smith

The winter months bring extreme low tides to our area. Wind plays a major part in it and if it is blowing from the north, it'll blow ALL the water out of the bay in front of the Labrot House. As I was fooling with pictures, I thought I'd post the New Year's pic with some explanation. What you see in the foreground is the bar in the middle of the small bay sticking it's head above water due to the low tide. It is only visible on these extreme events, preferring to lay in wait unseen for unwary (and unknowledgeable) boaters. If you look closely you can see where some have dug a trench with their props.

Between the bar and those three grass islands is the West Pascagoula River channel. It is relatively narrow with the grass on one side and the bar on the other but pretty deep in places. Around the three grass islands is shallow past the river channel and then it deepens to the Middle Rive cut. That  far point is the eastern edge of Middle River.

And further out in the haze is the spoil island created by dredging the East River channel. It too is surrounded by very shallow areas; this whole area is a study in how to run aground if you don't know the place. Not visible is Round Island near the spoil island. The spoil island is actually pretty white sand with a nightmare of a center where the gunk goes and a drain to let it dry. Already there are the beginnings of plant life taking root there. The morning was foggy out on the water as I took the shot but it cleared up and was nice for most of the day.

You cannot view this attachment.
Riley

Monroe

Nice picture and explanation.

Brian N.

Depending upon moon and sun the tides here (Long Island, north shore) range from about 6.5 feet to almost 9 feet above MLW. Add that to the wind pushing the water into the bay and we get some wild fluctuations. Local knowledge is critical to avoid sandbars which shift around. The river leading into the bay can seemingly deposit a new sandbar in a week. One storm can change everything overnight. Launching and retrieving my boat is very tide dependent. More than once I had to wait a couple of hours for the flood tide. Over the last couple of years oyster and mussel beds have grown to complicate matters. 
Fair winds
Brian N.

Captain Kidd

Not being local, I'm looking at googlemaps trying to figure out what you are describing. Took this screen shot. Is this close? Google maps pretty much calls everything down there the Pascagoula River. I did see West Pascagoula River.

You cannot view this attachment.

Norm L.

Take the next shot further south where you can see the coast/town/harbor and you will see Riley's maritime domain.

Riley Smith

Yeah, that's upriver a little ways above Hwy 90, the Gulf Highway. We're south and west of the railroad bridge. Which reminds me of that old story on the TSBB a LONG time ago about the trestle and a sailboat. Wish I could re-read that one. Can't even remember who posted it; seems like it was a guy named Dave... Anyway, the river system is a maze for almost the whole county, from where it empties into the Mississippi Sound north, until almost to the county line before it narrows enough you can get a grasp on it. It splits in two up there, into East and West River, and the Labrot House is on the western side. We also lay claim to Middle River too. But we live and are mostly associated with people on the East side. What all that means is that our county is more water than land right through the middle and has formed distinct social and economic trends along that line. There is a sea of grass where I-10 crosses that the sun sets over, and little channels and bayous enough to get you really good and lost all through this area. You might might sight someone showing above the grass motoring, and have NO IDEA how to get to where they are. A map is very great idea, even for those  knowledgeable about all the quirks.
Riley