How do tell if I have a Blue Water layup?

Started by tomjkjr, Jan 20, 2024, 09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomjkjr

I don't know anything about sailboats and I'm refurbishing a 1995 Potter 19. I have a sailor friend who is helping me with the basics to make sure I make it shipshape. I plan to sell it. I've looked at some other people's ads for Potter 19's and some of them mention a "Blue Water Layup." How can I tell if I have a Blue Water Layup?

Bud

Bluewater layup refers to the bottom of the boat. IM added additional fiberglass to the bottom. I am not 100% sure, but I don't think a 95 Potter would have the bluewater layup.

Dave K - SF Bay

The heavier layup is a post-2000 thing. It is basically Coremat added to the inside of the hull to increase thickness (and stiffness) without adding a tremendous amount of weight. The package also included balsa core in several places, the easiest to identify being the transom.

Calling it the "Bluewater Package" was misleading and short-lived - it quickly was renamed "Premium Layup". While the premium-built boats are stiffer and quieter (less drumming) they are no better suited to crossing oceans than the standard boats. Yes, I know it has been done. I'm not sure it was a good idea ::)