News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

winter report

Started by rfrance0718, Feb 17, 2024, 01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfrance0718

We are 8 weeks and 2 days beyond the solstice, 4 weeks and 4 days left to go. We had a little wintery blast yesterday, with about 8 inches of wet snow. It's cold enough to curtail frostbiting for a bit, but the snow is too wet to XC ski on. I'll be towing the Thistle to Fort Walton Beach Fl. on March 8th. Four days of racing and a couple of days of lounging around, then heading back. Before we go, I should be able to get out of town for one more downhill ski trip, probably next week. When this weather breaks I'll continue prepping the Oday for its new deck joint seal and new rub rail. We've got fabric ordered for our new cushions, and I'm seriously thinking about some new sails. After returning from MidWinters High School Sailing will start on April 1st, and our club racing will get going as well. Then I'll be doing something that has to do with sailing almost every day. 

Spot

Fun plans!

Have you done cushion covers before? I'd recommend to watch the Sailrite tutorial videos and try some of the self-stick basting tape to help with the assembly and sewing process. If you have previous experience and/or a better machine, the tape may not matter as much. The synthetic upholstery fabrics can be a little slippery running through a sewing machine.
Big dreams, small boats...

rfrance0718

Tami has done them before but she's too busy. We are having the same seamstress who made our camper cushions make them. Not cheap, but she does a nice job. I also got a quote from a marine fabric shop. They were way higher.