News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

It's Springing :)

Started by Riley Smith, Mar 02, 2024, 08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riley Smith

Yes, it hasn't gotten down into the thirties lately and has reached the 70s a few times too. That 70s weather is perfect but it doesn't last long here; before you know it the 80s will dominate and sweat will flow. As a lifelong resident, there are certain signs that tell me these things, not just the temps. The azaleas are beginning to bloom, which will more than likely be helped by the all-day rain yesterday. The pollen on the dried up rain puddles are another, and the oaks shedding the protective husks of new bud growth is an additional sign. It sort of reminds me of oatmeal scattered across the ground. The acid test is when the robins leave, as they don't stay in this particular area after Spring. I have to take a ride to check that because they are even rare in my neighborhood. I see those robins arrive in great flocks before the cold but they're really sneaky about leaving.

We attended a wedding last weekend and I noted the Japanese Magnolias in THAT area 1 1/2 hour north are in full bloom, while mine here has dropped all the blooms and is almost totally leafed out. Spring weather here is foggy and often wet and this morning is an example after all the rain. Yesterday the Gulf of Mexico was socked in out on the water and there were no visible boats either. The water is still cold (and now rising in the river) and all the rain is making the salinity plummet.

And one of the best signs of all is that hour of extra daylight we'll get IN A MERE 8 DAYS!!!!

Riley

Ed

Riley, we've got buds on the apple and peach trees, and a few starters on the pecan trees here in North Georgia.  The regular forestation on these 14 acres are in full swing.  I am not a forest person when it comes to taking care of the property and never will be, but I try.  I've still got a lot of chipping to do on all the dead limbs that my 2 year old grandson piles up for me , probably days of chainsaw work on blowdowns/widow makers, and that doesn't include all the crap on both sides of Sharp Mountain Creek we are responsible for.  I contacted GA DNR about clearing some trees that fell across the creek that were a hazard to navigation and was told that the creek, although kayakable, was not a navigable waterway, so they won't touch it. I guess I got spoiled in Florida on our canal. I still haven't finished blowing the leaves off the couple of acres around the bald spot on top of the hill where the house, goat/chicken/garden pens, kid play areas, and portable garages (boat and property management crap) are. On a sailing note: I rigged the new Mizzen Staysail for the boat earlier in the week, then they moved the "Bitter End" Race to Sunday from Saturday with winds at 6mph gusting to 9mph, which is just a touch too much for me to fly the Staysail on my unstayed Sea Pearl Tri, versus the 2mph gusting to 3mph the weather weasels predicted.  I came in 2nd last year against much longer/bigger boats when the downwind leg of the "go to and turn around" course of 6 miles each way had the wind kick up to almost 10mph on the entire return lap.  This year I'll be running the first 6 miles downwind and hoping to open up a big enough lead wing on wing to make up for my miserable pointing ability.  I'm taking the Staysail with me, just in case the winds lighten up.  Wish me luck with this racing thing, again, it really cuts my beer drinking off. I prefer the leisurely pace of either the BEER Cruise or FL 120. You can see just how much my grandson wants to go sailing with grampaw in the picture. You cannot view this attachment.

Riley Smith

Oh man, I haven't even considered the second round of leaves and there is still debris from various storms to contend with. The neckbone is acting up tremendously and that's misery incarnate, so I've not been very active. The foxes were up screaming before daylight and making Mr. Bean crazy. He had to go and chase them. Sailing has pretty much been an afterthought, although I did crank the Honda the other day and it fired right up. Made me smile!

I do love those Pearls. The downwind in the catboat is it's best point believe it or not. Scary though because you'd swear the boom is going to dig in way out like that...I'm sort of anxious to try a good one since I rigged a boom lift to gain height with the boom. Relatively a lot of area to that sail on downwind and she'll scoot. Maybe you'll get a chance with the new sail.
Riley