Connie and I are setting out for the Bahamas next week

Started by Wayne Howard, Mar 14, 2024, 07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne Howard

Leaving Pensacola on Monday after the front comes through.
Track us here Inreach Tracker

No points yet but turning on tracker Friday afternoon while we shakedown.
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Wayne Howard on Mar 14, 2024, 07:30 PMLeaving Pensacola on Monday after the front comes through.
Track us here Inreach Tracker

No points yet but turning on tracker Friday afternoon while we shakedown.

This is exciting! Have a great trip; we'll be following. Hope you can post some pics.

Captain Kidd

4:35 a.m. this morning

some nasty stuff out to the west!

You cannot view this attachment.

Norm L.

I just viewed the latest getting close to Clearwater.
Making the jump from Carabelle to the Clearwater area during the winter can be more exciting than one would like.
You need to judiciously pick a weather window.

We are familiar with a few inland tugs where they and/or their barge didn't make it.  Crossing at under 10 kts opens the window.

rfrance0718

Fantastic! Looks like another 5 hours into the barriers North of Clearwater? Hope is was a smooth sail! Looks like 10 kts going downhill right now? I'm familiar with your route down to Fort Myers or so. Very interested in your route from there to Bahamas. Thanks for keeping us abreast.

Wayne Howard

OMG. Carabelle to Tarpon Springs was nearly a disaster. All the weather sites we looked at said 15-17 knots of north wind. What we saw Monday night was 36 knots at the masthead. 6-8 foot seas. But we survived. It's a BEER story now.  ;D
Wayne Howard

rfrance0718

I see that you have left Gulfport behind. What is your destination for this hop? Are you going all the way to the keys, or stopping along the way? We'll be by Fort Meyers on Wednesday, we'll wave if yiu are passing by.

Wayne Howard

We left Gulfport headed for Venice. But the winds and waves slammed us so much we would not make Venice before two days. So we ducked into Brandenton and Manatee River. It's gorgeous here. We actually saw manatee where we are. But we have decided this is as far south as we are going this year.  :( So once the weather settles down here, we are going to head back towards Pensacola. Stopping in Tarpon Springs and waiting for the perfect weather window before making the jump to Apalachicola. A day, a week, or two weeks. So don't expect daily moves from us.
Wayne Howard

Krusen

:)
Well, you and Connie took care of the adventure box being checked off early in the trip, so now is the time to check boxes for relaxation and easy days.

Best wishes for a better weather window for the second crossing of the big bend this time.

There is a lot to enjoy where you are, and a few short sails bring many more.  Manatee's swimming around you is a special treat.  My wife and I spent a number of very pleasant days around there traveling by car or plane.  One trip had a week in a modern condo on the beach, mostly good weather, at Thanksgiving.

Take it easy, and enjoy the stay.

Norman

rfrance0718

It sounds like you've had a great time! I love Gulfport Municipal Marina and you could pull into Calidasi State Park on your way by. That's a really nice marina and you basically get the Island to yourself at night.

Captain Kidd

Quote from: rfrance0718 on Apr 11, 2024, 01:42 PMIt sounds like you've had a great time! I love Gulfport Municipal Marina and you could pull into Calidasi State Park on your way by. That's a really nice marina and you basically get the Island to yourself at night.

I've not been to as many places as many of you, but I have been sailing to Caladesi Island. The marina is nice and the beach is listed as one of the best in the country. You can almost have miles of lovely beach to yourself.

Wayne, not sure why your plans changed, but wishing you the best for the return trip. Be safe and have fun!