Got a foot of snow. Must be time to bring the boat home from storage.

Started by tjspiel, Mar 27, 2024, 03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjspiel

People warned me that owning a boat was a lot of work.

Somehow I never pictured shoveling the yard being a part of that.

Have to tow the boat from the street to the side of the house on Saturday. Had the pleasure of doing this last year too. :)

You cannot view this attachment.

Once you get some grass exposed, the sun will take care of most of the rest.

Brian N.

Fair winds
Brian N.

gary-s

Hey Tom!

That's what happens when you live "up North".

I'm about 80 miles South of you and we only got about 2 inches here.

Seems like we've been getting missed all year,  snow and rain.

We really could have used the moisture.

I also just came into a non running 8hp snowblower that I have been working on.
It needed a carburetor kit along with two sessions in my ultrasonic cleaning unit.  Now runs fine.  I really thought I'd get an opportunity to try it out!

I've cleaned several small engine carburetors so far with the ultrasonic unit and have had amazing success. Highly recommend it to anyone having problems with their outboard motor, lawn mower or any other small engine.
Once cleaned I ALWAYS use non-ethanol fuel.  My Tohatsu 4 stroke was sitting in the basement not being used because of carb issues.  I heard about the ultra sonic cleaner and found a repair shop that had one.  this was the 4th attempt at getting the carb cleaned.  It worked great.  I haven't had an issue with the Tohatsu in the 3 years since.  My cleaner came from amazon, about $120.00 shipped.
Hope to hang the outboard on the transom in April!

tjspiel

My snowblower wouldn't start in the Fall so I took the carb apart and cleaned all the jets with a little metal wire from a steel brush.

Ultrasonic cleaner sounds like a much better way to do it!

DBthal

Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Riggerdood

Quote from: gary-s on Mar 27, 2024, 05:27 PM<snip>
I've cleaned several small engine carburetors so far with the ultrasonic unit and have had amazing success. Highly recommend it to anyone having problems with their outboard motor, lawn mower or any other small engine.
Once cleaned I ALWAYS use non-ethanol fuel.  My Tohatsu 4 stroke was sitting in the basement not being used because of carb issues.  I heard about the ultra sonic cleaner and found a repair shop that had one.  this was the 4th attempt at getting the carb cleaned.  It worked great.  I haven't had an issue with the Tohatsu in the 3 years since.  My cleaner came from amazon, about $120.00 shipped.
I've been thinking of getting one of those Gary, and I think you've just convinced me to. Do you have the Amazon link to the one you got? Since I can't get non-E gas out here, I'm thinking of just making a good carb cleaning a part of the regular maintenance schedule for my outboards.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Riggerdood

Quote from: DBthal on Mar 27, 2024, 07:21 PM
Quote from: tjspiel on Mar 27, 2024, 03:13 PMHad the pleasure of doing this last year too. :)

Definitely deja vu from last year!  ;)
I was gonna say, this is becoming a regular thing Tom! ;~P

Quantico Frank

[/quote]

Fascinating, Gary— seems handy as hell! I'd like that link too, when you get to it.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Wolverine

I have 3 outboards. A 1966 20" 3hp 2 stroke Chrysler that always starts, a 1985 25" 5hp Nissan that I haven't used since having a new carb installed, and a 2010 20" Tohastu that gives me trouble every year. I'm going to look into that ultra- sonic cleaner.
1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

Give me a big boat and I'll sail the coastline.  Let me have a trailable boat,  and I'll sail her anywhere I desire.

gary-s

I'm sorry but I don't know how to attach a link taking you to the Amazon site with the UltraSonic Cleaners.
My unit is :  CREWORKS Ultrasonic Cleaner. 
I purchased the 10 Liter size which is now priced at $159.99
I note that CREWORKS also lists a 6 liter size for $116.99
The only difference between the 10 and the 6 appears to be the width.
The 10 liter is about 9" wide in the tub, where the 6liter is 5" wide in the tub. Be aware that the stainless steel basket—which must be used— decreases usable space about another inch in both directions.
The 5" width would probably be fine for a small engine carb but not for a larger automotive carb?
I've been using "Simple Green" all purpose cleaner, diluted.
There are specific ultrasonic cleaning liquids also available.
I tried to post photos of the dirty, gummed up carb but I get the message my files are too large!
So how do I reduce them so that I can post the photo??

Quantico Frank

Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Riggerdood

Me too! Thanks Gary.

You can reduce the size of pictures in any basic photo viewer/editor such as Windows Paint. Do you have that one Gary? If so, open the pic file, go to the Image section of the menu in the upper left, click Resize and Skew, put in a horizontal and vertical percentage that gets the image below the 1 mb limit, click OK, then save. You can check the size in the file folder where the image is saved. It should work similarly in other viewer/editor programs.

To post a link, just highlight the entire contents of the address bar at the top, press ctrl c, go back to your message, and press ctrl v. Preview your message to make sure it shows as a clickable link (underlined). For example, I believe this is the link the one you bought (I think?):

https://www.amazon.com/Tek-Motion-Professional-Ultrasonic-Transducers/dp/B01FDIFAG2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=25WR7M2DKSKCU&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.tpiaurO497-QuJJCbyrbYb6MNEt0lM-iuLFPhz9BEAL-lnXhsQd5SdBiqi8sYdy_d_IXqjdiP9jNTQsZKx3qzUXAmjLqEwDB7qDuKrgzTF0W5eYLFCelAKEpI2oKjEcEFnfkb6ANVjIB8201PFUZFfbtIE3r5qAy2PSGEZp9Qsa66j5YY0U_GDiMiLy4dKHPhEwod3oN25GUgREyyM8PXRwlopq7NugW96L1lJ6hzUM.KsTTuvx5adgq91L0z-IEk2BzFb9zNqN44cjtmFHFW6w&dib_tag=se&keywords=CREWORKS+10L+Ultrasonic+Cleaner&qid=1711826390&sprefix=creworks+10l+ultrasonic+cleaner%2Caps%2C155&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

gary-s

Thank you for the tips!
I'll experiment a bit and see what I can accomplish!

Riggerdood