Anyone close to splash?

Started by Brian N., Apr 03, 2024, 12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian N.

40 degrees here, heavy rain and wind with some wet snowflakes mixed in. Forecast is not good for the week. Re-reading old sailing magazines to keep the fires burning.
Fair winds
Brian N.

DBthal

Hi Brian,

I am very much looking forward to boating this year, but we're supposed to get 12-16" snow with 50 mph wind in the next 24 hours...........  :o

So, reality is that it will be May when I splash.

Dan
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Straander

I last splashed about a month and a half ago. The weekends just havent worked out right to take 'er out again lately.
Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

Riggerdood

Had hoped to sail San Diego Bay this past weekend, but bad wx down there nixed that. Gonna try again next weekend.

Hope everyone gets to get out sailing soon!
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Captain Kidd

We can sail all winter down here; you just have to pick your days. I got out twice in February. Missed sailing in March not because of weather but schedule. I hope to get out tomorrow for a short outing.

Quantico Frank

Thinking about it more often, Brian. Called the folks who paint the bottom yesterday, and they said they're backed up because of wx, but bring 'er over. No big projects this year— just a good scrub and wax then it's time to splash her.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Brian N.

Now my wife is itching for some spring skiing this weekend in Vermont. I'm a bit reluctant as my focus has now shifted to more "spring-like" activities. Plus, they only have 1/2 the mountain open with "corn" snow. One plus is that we would have a good view of the eclipse. Going to make a decision soon ....
Fair winds
Brian N.

tjspiel

Quote from: Brian N. on Apr 05, 2024, 10:17 AMNow my wife is itching for some spring skiing this weekend in Vermont. I'm a bit reluctant as my focus has now shifted to more "spring-like" activities. Plus, they only have 1/2 the mountain open with "corn" snow. One plus is that we would have a good view of the eclipse. Going to make a decision soon ....

Had a friend try to talk me into going up North to ski for a day after last week's snow. They had about 16" of new stuff there but psychologically I've moved on from Winter :)

But he had a great time.

tjspiel

Weather is starting to get really nice again but it can change on a dime this time of year.

Buoy draw is in about 10 days and the buoys won't be ready until first week of May regardless so splashing is a few weeks off.

I'll make good use of the time on some projects. The boat is back in my yard at least so that's one step closer.

Quantico Frank

Picked up the boat today from storage, and have it in the driveway, pressure washed it and discovered it might not actually need its bottom painted again this year! The dried up growth seems to be coming right off, leaving reasonably good looking blue paint underneath. Right now I'm trying to find out if my neighborhood boat yard will let me use their lift to get it off the trailer so I can finish the job. If I can do that, I might be able to splash sooner, rather than later.

Two FYIs, 1) my bottom paint that seems to be doing so well is Petit Premium HRT which is recommended for sailing in both fresh and saltwater, and 2) I ignored my LiFePo battery over the winter and left it charging on the solar panel, and it's at 14 volts right now. Yes!👍
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

tjspiel

Quote from: Quantico Frank on Apr 09, 2024, 04:24 PMPicked up the boat today from storage, and have it in the driveway, pressure washed it and discovered it might not actually need its bottom painted again this year! The dried up growth seems to be coming right off, leaving reasonably good looking blue paint underneath. Right now I'm trying to find out if my neighborhood boat yard will let me use their lift to get it off the trailer so I can finish the job. If I can do that, I might be able to splash sooner, rather than later.

Two FYIs, 1) my bottom paint that seems to be doing so well is Petit Premium HRT which is recommended for sailing in both fresh and saltwater, and 2) I ignored my LiFePo battery over the winter and left it charging on the solar panel, and it's at 14 volts right now. Yes!👍

Glad your battery "sailed" through the Winter Frank. :)

I'm learning more about LiFePo batteries all the time, some of which I wish I would have known before I bought one such as different BMS (Battery Management System) capabilities. Some have a cold weather cutoff and even warming pads to aid in cold weather performance.

For example, LiFePo batteries can't charge when it's below freezing and it can damage them if you try. So some batteries have warmers that will let you do it, or will just shut off charging to prevent damage.

Mine does neither and for the most part that's not an issue. Only now when I've got it mounted in the boat and the solar panel is hooked up for more testing. It may not drop below freezing again until Fall but there's a chance it might in the next couple of weeks, so I'll have to keep an eye on it.

tjspiel

Getting Closer:
You cannot view this attachment.

Buoys are on the water early this year. "Buoy Draw" is next Tuesday night. Your name is put in a hopper and when drawn you get to choose your buoy from the remaining options. The ones circled in red are what where I hope to be, favoring the ones closest to the dock.

You cannot view this attachment.

Because I'm a city resident and a returning buoy holder on that lake, I get to draw earlier than those who live outside the city and/or had their boat on a different lake last year. So I should be able to get one of those spots.

The "Buoy Draw" is a festive event. Tropical music and decor. Get to see people I haven't seen in a few months.

And then the tension of waiting to get called while pretending to be happy for the people who just stole my favorite spot. :)

Straander

How do you get to/from your boat when its out on a bouy?
Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

Riggerdood

Great to hear that Frank, given your past battery headaches.

Good luck in the draw Tom!

Edit: Tom, do they leave the buoy anchors on the bottom all year, and just remove the buoys for the Winter? If so, do they have to dive on each one to attach the buoy pendants?
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

DBthal

Yes - moorings aren't typically used in parts of the country.

My P-165 is on a mooring which is the common way to keep a boat in Maine.

My mooring consists of a bottom anchor, heavy ~3/4" bottom chain, lighter 1/2" chain, a swivel, a buoy, and finally a pendant (the line that you attach to the boat).

In Winter; the swivel, buoy, & pendant are taken off to reduce wear on the parts & prevent moving ice from destroying the mooring. A small "Winter float" is attached to a line tied to the top chain which is left on the bottom of the water. In Spring it is all re-attached.

I have a dinghy used to row out to the mooring. The dinghy is left attached to the mooring while I go sailing.
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"