Old gasoline - How to dispose of?

Started by Brian N., Apr 13, 2024, 11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian N.

At the start of spring I empty the gas from my snow blower, outboard for the boat and lawn mower (the gas was stabilized) and put in fresh gas and stabilizer. I usually add the old gas to the gas tank of my car. This year I emptied the gas from the lawn mower and it had some white cloudy sediment, so I definitely don't want to add that to the car. I now have a container of gas that I don't know how to dispose of. A friend suggested pouring it into some cat litter then dispose of it in the garbage, but I'm a bit hesitant to do that. Any other suggestions?
Fair winds
Brian N.

Riggerdood

Not sure if there's anything like it near you Brian, but we have a local hazardous waste disposal center here. It's where I take the used oil when I change the oil in the car, and I've taken old gas there as well. I would not recommend putting it in the regular garbage, cat litter or not.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Wolverine

Most fire departments will take it.  They use ir for controlled burns and teaching new recruits.
1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

Give me a big boat and I'll sail the coastline.  Let me have a trailable boat,  and I'll sail her anywhere I desire.

pgandw

Run the gas through a lawn mower or old boat system that has an older gas filter with removable bowl.  Clean out the filter bowl and call it good.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner #4133  Sweet P