News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Windex interference

Started by talbot, Apr 17, 2024, 05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talbot

I installed a VHF antenna this winter, but when I raised the mast, it turns out the Windex hangs on the new equipment. Anyone else solve this problem? Maybe a stainless L-bracket that would move the Windex an inch or so outboard? (The aerial and wind indicator are on opposite sides of the mast.) I can tweak the antenna mount a bit so the Windex sort-of works, but I believe that alters the shape of my VHF signal, which I understand is perpendicular to the antenna.
Talbot Bielefeldt
Precision 21 "Starlight"
Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon

tjspiel

You could go the Ron Deitel route and put a dinghy style windex on the pulpit.

After forgetting to take my windex off when trailering (and losing it) or forgetting to put it on before stepping the mast more than once, that's what I decided to do.

It has the advantage of being in your natural line of sight, - no more craning your neck to look up to the top of the mast. The disadvantage is that you can't see it behind the jib when sitting on the low side of the boat.

It's meant for spars so it's not the easiest thing to mount on a pulpit. You need something thicker on your pulpit to wrap it around.

https://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/product/DAV-1295.html

Riggerdood

Had the same issue when installing my VHF antenna. Put a couple of slight "dogleg" bends in the windex mast so it would clear the antenna.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

DBthal

Quote from: tjspiel on Apr 17, 2024, 09:20 PMYou could go the Ron Deitel route and put a dinghy style windex on the pulpit.

After forgetting to take my windex off when trailering (and losing it) or forgetting to put it on before stepping the mast more than once, that's what I decided to do.

It has the advantage of being in your natural line of sight, - no more craning your neck to look up to the top of the mast. The disadvantage is that you can't see it behind the jib when sitting on the low side of the boat.

I also use the "Deitel method" of mounting my windex on the pulpit. I really like having it mounted in my line of sight.
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Quantico Frank

My wind vane is on its own angle bracket at the top of my mast, but it's part of a system that connects to my chart plotter via Bluetooth and came with the bracket. It seems that larger boats have all manner of "kit" on offset brackets at their mastheads.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

talbot

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know about the Davis Black Max. That might have been the best choice, as I really need a new indicator, but I already ordered a new Davis Windex. So I imagine I will use the "dogleg" method of installation next time I have the mast down. Or I could add a small angle bracket, as in Frank's nav system.

FWIW, I don't think I would mount a wind indicator on the pulpit. For one thing, I'll bet I could manage to break it the next time I lose control of the headsail (that is, the next time I go sailing). But also, while the vane would be in plain sight, I wonder what it would tell me. The wind a few feet above the water (especially in light air) is often different from the wind on the sail. Seems like it's not that different from the antenna. The whole problem is that both the VHF and the Windex need to work in the same clear space above the boat.

Talbot Bielefeldt
Precision 21 "Starlight"
Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon

Riggerdood

Quote from: talbot on Apr 24, 2024, 01:53 PMThanks for the suggestions. I didn't know about the Davis Black Max. That might have been the best choice, as I really need a new indicator, but I already ordered a new Davis Windex. So I imagine I will use the "dogleg" method of installation next time I have the mast down. Or I could add a small angle bracket, as in Frank's nav system.

FWIW, I don't think I would mount a wind indicator on the pulpit. For one thing, I'll bet I could manage to break it the next time I lose control of the headsail (that is, the next time I go sailing). But also, while the vane would be in plain sight, I wonder what it would tell me. The wind a few feet above the water (especially in light air) is often different from the wind on the sail. Seems like it's not that different from the antenna. The whole problem is that both the VHF and the Windex need to work in the same clear space above the boat.

Talbot, I actually did try the pulpit mounted windex a couple of years ago, but it didn't last long. When I launch at these ramps here that have no finger docks, I have to do a lot of gymnastics and clambering about the bow and the front of the trailer, and eventually I knocked it off. This past weekend was my first launch since I put James Steele's trailer ladder on my trailer, and it made things much easier. However, even when I had the thing on the pulpit, it was hard to see from the helm, and I agree with you that the wind info you really need comes from the masthead.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand