Who here's a Washington Sailor?

Started by Straander, Apr 02, 2023, 03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Straander

Awesome, we have regional boards now! I would like to see who else sails regularly in Washington state.

I'm a Precision 165 owner. I've never had a slip in a Marina, so I launch from my trailer for every sailing trip. This is my first boat.

I primarily only do day sails, but I've done overnight trips in central washington 3 times now. My primary sailing grounds are Lake Union and the northern half of lake washington.
I'll probably make a thread soon with reviews of all the boat ramps I use as that is something I *really* wish I'd had available when I started sailing.

Happy sailing~
Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

Gerald Wm Nickel

Cheers Mate,  I've sailed up n down Puget Sound, Straits of Juan de Fuca, n San Juan Island but it been a few year. Usually launch at Des Moises area ramp.

I sail small Neptune 16 all over. Use to anchor n/or camp 🏕 on Blake Island .. also Sailed to Paulsbo, Sequim, n many other interesting ports n anchorage..

Also sailed to Alaska n back but not on mini cruiser. Did that one my brothers Endurance 35 cutter rigged sailboat. 

I've done Lk Washington a lot n Lk Sammamish too east of Seattle n sailed (motored mostly) the Ships Canal from Lake Washington thru Lk Union n on thru the Ballard Locks into Puget Sound a couple time.

These are my sailing ground. I'm ashore now at 77 yrs old but looking to buy another 17 to 18' mini cruiser n do more sailing ..

Cheers 🥂 Nick.

Straander

Greetings nick.  It sounds like your sailing experience has been very similar to mine. And the Neptune 16 sounds very close to the p165 in form and capabilities.
The neptune 16 is the boat you've taken around the San Juans? I'm really keen on doing that someday i just lack experience and haven't heard of anyone doing that kind of sail in a boat as small as my p165. (One of the only sailors I've met here wouldn't even go on a sail with me because he said he'd never set foot on a boat smaller then 20')
I have been hoping to make it to Blake island for an overnight trip soon. (Did it once via kayak). Figured itd be a good introductory trip for Sound sailing.

Quote from: Gerald Wm Nickel on Apr 11, 2023, 01:09 AMCheers Mate,  I've sailed up n down Puget Sound, Straits of Juan de Fuca, n San Juan Island but it been a few year. Usually launch at Des Moises area ramp.

I sail small Neptune 16 all over. Use to anchor n/or camp 🏕 on Blake Island .. also Sailed to Paulsbo, Sequim, n many other interesting ports n anchorage..

Also sailed to Alaska n back but not on mini cruiser. Did that one my brothers Endurance 35 cutter rigged sailboat. 

I've done Lk Washington a lot n Lk Sammamish too east of Seattle n sailed (motored mostly) the Ships Canal from Lake Washington thru Lk Union n on thru the Ballard Locks into Puget Sound a couple time.

These are my sailing ground. I'm ashore now at 77 yrs old but looking to buy another 17 to 18' mini cruiser n do more sailing ..

Cheers 🥂 Nick.

talbot

Sort of a Washington sailor. Mostly lake-sail in Oregon, but try to make an annual visit to the Salish Sea in the fall.

Regarding your concern about taking the P165 out to the San Juans: There are very active dinghy-cruisers in Washington and Canada who regularly sail boats smaller than yours around the Gulf Islands and San Juans. For instance, check out the Salish 100, an annual small boat cruise from Olympia to Port Townsend and back. I've never been part of the event, but I've sailed around the ends of the route.

The head of the sound at Olympia is well protected. At the north end near Port Townsend, it can get pretty choppy, but there is an escape channel that lets you bypass the roughest water. I have family near Everett, and the area east of Whidbey Island (Possession Sound/Saratoga Passage) is usually pretty safe. We've sailed there in a 16' Day Sailor. Of course, any body of water can be hit by a squall, so you need to pay attention to weather and tide. But you'll see other small boats out in the areas I mentioned.
Talbot Bielefeldt
Precision 21 "Starlight"
Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon

johnandcandace

Yakima, WA. A retired couple, that moor at Rimrock Reservoir, Cascade mountain lake, on Hwy 12. In last 30 years we sailed Puget Sound, moored at Shilshole. Loved the Sound, but gave that up due to high costs of commuting, moorage, and salt water maintenance. Sailing Rimrock is totally different than the Sound. Rimrock is a clear, long, narrow, mountain reservoir, with high, gusty winds. Season is June thru August. Usually 4 other sailboats moor at Rimrock, but in our typical 25 - 30 days sailing each season, we only see another sailboat out 5 days. Rimrock photos, our Montgomery 17 at dock; our Precision 18 running east.

Krusen

Not a NW sailor, but the Neptune 16 that I had was a very capable little craft  I often wished that I did not upgrade to 22 feet, the troubles multiply with size, and I would still have a sailboat if it was the Neptune.

At 89, 22 feet became too large to rig.  Sold it last year, and buying now is a poor investment.

Happy sailing.

A few years ago, I was on the Zodiac in the San Juan's, and will be again in July.  Beautifully maintained 1920's wood schooner, and I steered while the sails went up, and again as they came down.  :)

MountainMusic

Ya I sail Washington but definitely a newbie. Lake Chelan, Banks lake, Lake Rosevelt are where I plan cutting my teeth.  24" Seaward is what Have. Plan on taking some classes on the coast since nothing local   

Potter1994

Yes, I sail in Wash. Primarily in the San Juan Is. and Whidbey Is. areas. Day sails and overnighters. I sail a West Wight Potter 19.

Straander

Quote from: MountainMusic on Apr 24, 2023, 06:57 PMYa I sail Washington but definitely a newbie. Lake Chelan, Banks lake, Lake Rosevelt are where I plan cutting my teeth.  24" Seaward is what Have. Plan on taking some classes on the coast since nothing local   

Oh Awesome. I've done 3 overnight trips on Lake Kachess and Lake Cle Elum on east side and very nearly did a 2 day trip at Banks lake last year. (friends had to cancel due to a family emergency).
When you start hitting those lakes, I'd love to chat about conditions and your experiences there.

ai4kk

Used to be on the board a long time ago until I went through a divorce and lost my youngest son to an out of control driver. Travelnursing in Washington now and just bought a WWP15.
I work in Seattle but stay on some property I bought in Port Orchard. Once I get some practice in with the new  boat, I'd like to do a solo or group sail from Belfair to Allyn...6 miles by road, 125 by water as you have to go out around the Kitsap Peninsula. I found a place on the Union River in Belfair we can get small boats in and there's a nice boat ramp in Allyn if we can get permission to leave cars there.
Hope to do more sailing now that I have a job that gives me 4 days off per week....just mostly not on weekends  :)

Straander

Quote from: Potter1994 on Apr 25, 2023, 12:13 PMYes, I sail in Wash. Primarily in the San Juan Is. and Whidbey Is. areas. Day sails and overnighters. I sail a West Wight Potter 19.

Would love to chat about your experiences with small boat sailing in the san juans. Always wanted to try that in my P165 but I'm just way too short on knowledge to know how to get started safely.

Potter1994

Hello, my name is Wayne and I own a 1994 West Potter. I purchased it 15 years ago, and I am the third owner. I live on the north end on Whidbey Is. here in Wash. Living here on Whidbey Is.it puts me in close proximity to the San Juan's. I Will certainly try to answer any questions you have. I usually try to sail April thru most of October, (weather permitting). I generally sail around the area of the N. end of Whidbey as well as the San Juan's. There are several good launch sites in our area. We have several Marina's as well as many Wa.State parks that are located in the San Juan's. Food, fuel, supplies, are readily available. I look forward to hearing from you.