News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Bottom painting P 165

Started by eaglecreeksailor22, Apr 20, 2024, 12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglecreeksailor22

Hello all,
Back to sailing after a 10 yr hiatus and as I mentioned last year am sailing a P165 and love it. But will need to repaint the bottom this year. I live in central Indiana and the boat stays in the water from April till November. I usually pull out and pressure wash once during the summer as the sail club has a clean up area close to the ramp.

I need suggestions on type and brand of paint for midwest conditions and quantity of paint needed for one coat. In the past I have used both Inter lux and West marine self sluffing type.

Not looking forward to this project but always said part of boat ownership, last one I painted was a Catalina 25 when I was 60 yrs old, now am 78 and glad the boat is small.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rich

Dave Scobie

Talk with the folks at the lake's sailing club about which paint(s) work for them.  The effective paints at a specific location means asking locals what brands and mix works on your lake.

Quantico Frank

Also, Rich, you might talk with a friendly boat yard to find out what they use for the most part. The boatyard I use, located south of Annapolis, even asked their distributor for a recommendation for me because I sail on both fresh and salt water. They recommended Petit Hydrocoat (not HRT, which I had previously thought), and I'm really happy with the results.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

eaglecreeksailor22

Frank, how much paint is needed for one coat?

Quantico Frank

I always get by with a quart—- not sure whether they get just one or two coats out of that. I tried to reach the boat yard I use, but they didn't pick up. Maybe Dan could chime in since he paints the bottom of his P165 too....
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

DBthal

Quote from: Quantico Frank on Apr 26, 2024, 02:17 PMI always get by with a quart—- not sure whether they get just one or two coats out of that. I tried to reach the boat yard I use, but they didn't pick up. Maybe Dan could chime in since he paints the bottom of his P165 too....

Frank,

A quart works for me.

Dan
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"