Started by DBthal, Apr 03, 2023, 11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBthal

Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Riggerdood

Thanks Dan, very detailed indeed.

I like to do them like this, at least on the turnbuckles. The sheets are routed outside the stays, so nothing snags, and a quick glance confirms that they haven't moved.

You cannot view this attachment.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

DBthal

Tim,

Those turnbuckles are going to stay as set with the way you have the cotter pins bent back.

Dan
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Riggerdood

Yeah, I don't think they're going anywhere. The boat came to me with large circlips instead of cotter pins, which I was never too crazy about. When I replaced and re-tuned the standing rigging 2 years ago, I put in those proper cotter pins like this, and they haven't budged since.

Quantico Frank

I have the Velcro wraps, and they work pretty well.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Riggerdood

I like the concept of the velcro ones, but I'm so OCD that I'd wear out the velcro, constantly opening them to make sure the pins are still in! ;~P

tjspiel

Quote from: Quantico Frank on Apr 04, 2023, 08:48 AMI have the Velcro wraps, and they work pretty well.

I used them on the forestay since they made it easy to loosen the turnbuckle before lowering the mast. I had a piece of tape wrapped around the threads so I knew how much to tighten the turnbuckle when the mast went back up.

Alas, they're too big to fit under the furler drum so I'm going to need to do something different.

Quantico Frank

Quantico Frank

Quote from: tjspiel on Apr 04, 2023, 02:20 PM
Quote from: Quantico Frank on Apr 04, 2023, 08:48 AMI have the Velcro wraps, and they work pretty well.

I used them on the forestay since they made it easy to loosen the turnbuckle before lowering the mast. I had a piece of tape wrapped around the threads so I knew how much to tighten the turnbuckle when the mast went back up.

Alas, they're too big to fit under the furler drum so I'm going to need to do something different.
I have them on my forestay too. I don't have to undo them because I use them thar quick release levers on my shrouds: https://www.westmarine.com/c.sherman-johnson-small-7-hole-quick-release-shroud-lever-246175.html?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=PMax%3A%20GSC%3ESmart_Shopping%3ESailing&gclid=Cj0KCQjwla-hBhD7ARIsAM9tQKvRTpY-WbKlSMi7bRtjr5-3buMMG0MuBBCUlKOUhJQ-iBdkX9etVwsaAoY3EALw_wcB

Riggerdood

Quote from: tjspiel on Apr 04, 2023, 02:20 PMI used them on the forestay since they made it easy to loosen the turnbuckle before lowering the mast. I had a piece of tape wrapped around the threads so I knew how much to tighten the turnbuckle when the mast went back up.

Great idea with the tape Tom. Yeah, CDI says cotter pins only for the forestay turnbuckle. Maybe get some of those levers Frank mentioned for the shrouds?

Riggerdood

talbot

Whether using cotter pins or split rings, tape the fastener. A sheet or other line, or even a crew member's sock, can snag the  sharp end of a pin or clip and start to open it. Plus, it can foul the line or draw blood. If you rig seasonally, you can get by with cheap electrical tape. You'll replace it every year, but you have to take it off anyway when you put the boat to bed for the winter.
Talbot Bielefeldt
Precision 21 "Starlight"
Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon

Riggerdood

Talbot, I don't like to tape them for the same reason I don't like them covered by anything else: because I want to be able to see at a quick glance that they are secure. No lines or socks ever get anywhere near them, so there's no snag issue.