Finally in and had a couple of days of sailing this weekend.

Started by tjspiel, May 05, 2024, 10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBthal

I'm working through an ordeal bottom painting my 22' Sisu powerboat.

When it was built, I had the manufacturer barrier coat & bottom paint the boat when it was still on a crib at the plant. They didn't want to barrier coat saying it wasn't necessary.

Going into my eleventh year with the boat and the paint is starting to peel off similar to Bill Pfund's photos. I don't think the manufacturer cleaned the barrier coat surface before bottom painting.......... The paint is peeling down to the barrier coat.

Looks like I'll have to chemically strip the hull next season and start over.
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

tjspiel

Quote from: Riggerdood on May 08, 2024, 10:43 PM
Quote from: Quantico Frank on May 08, 2024, 05:31 AMJealous, guys. Still waiting on bottom painting here, ugh....
Frank, just for "fun", go on the FB group and read Bill Pfund's almost 3 year tale of woe regarding getting his boat's bottom redone. Not for the faint of heart ...

What a nightmare !

Quantico Frank

Quote from: DBthal on May 09, 2024, 10:30 AMLooks like I'll have to chemically strip the hull next season and start over.

Argh...
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Riggerdood

Quote from: Quantico Frank on May 09, 2024, 09:09 AM
Quote from: Riggerdood on May 08, 2024, 10:43 PMFrank, just for "fun", go on the FB group and read Bill Pfund's almost 3 year tale of woe regarding getting his boat's bottom redone. Not for the faint of heart ...

Wow, what an ordeal! I'm pretty sure part of the problem I'm dealing with is also lack of/unreliable labor in my yard too. I called them yesterday, and they told me it's being power-washed and should be completed "in the next couple days."

Interesting things about Bill's post: 1) I asked my yard about a barrier coat, and they told me they don't do them because of all the decontamination requirements for using that paint right next to the Chesapeake Bay, and 2) my previous owner and I used to paint the bottom with that VC-17 paint, and the copper looks so cool when it's done; but unfortunately, since it's an ablative, all that beautiful copper washes off very quickly before it gets to your underlying color.

And what's worse is that you both live in areas where one would think there would be an abundance of skilled folks who do this kind of work.

As to the barrier coat, maybe the rules are different for fresh water? Or in MI vs VA?
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Riggerdood

Quote from: DBthal on May 09, 2024, 10:30 AMI'm working through an ordeal bottom painting my 22' Sisu powerboat.

When it was built, I had the manufacturer barrier coat & bottom paint the boat when it was still on a crib at the plant. They didn't want to barrier coat saying it wasn't necessary.

Going into my eleventh year with the boat and the paint is starting to peel off similar to Bill Pfund's photos. I don't think the manufacturer cleaned the barrier coat surface before bottom painting.......... The paint is peeling down to the barrier coat.

Looks like I'll have to chemically strip the hull next season and start over.
You and Bill can certainly co-miserate Dan!

Riggerdood

Quote from: tjspiel on May 09, 2024, 06:32 PM
Quote from: Riggerdood on May 08, 2024, 10:43 PM
Quote from: Quantico Frank on May 08, 2024, 05:31 AMJealous, guys. Still waiting on bottom painting here, ugh....
Frank, just for "fun", go on the FB group and read Bill Pfund's almost 3 year tale of woe regarding getting his boat's bottom redone. Not for the faint of heart ...

What a nightmare !
Indeed!