Home made aluminum mast gate working nicely

Started by tjspiel, May 12, 2024, 04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjspiel

Nice breeze today so I had a chance to try out reefing with it in place.

Much easier !

Still have a use for my old sail stop. Noticed all the slugs were piling up on top of the boom when dropping the main and the boom at its lowest position. I normally like to raise the boom a bit when putting the boat away by sliding the shackle over the reefing hook and raising the halyard a smidge.

It was tough to do with all the slugs jammed on top of it so I put a sail stop in a few inches up and the slugs pile up on it instead.

Thanks for all the ideas including the aluminum carpet threshold and the nylon thumb screws.

Worked great !

DBthal

Quote from: tjspiel on May 12, 2024, 04:19 PM......It was tough to do with all the slugs jammed on top of it so I put a sail stop in a few inches up and the slugs pile up on it instead.

I do the same with my sail stop.
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Riggerdood

Glad it's working well for you Tom! Always a great feeling, especially when it's something you fashioned yourself.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Straander

I was going to work on a homebrew solution for this as well this year. Can you post any pictures of yours?

Quote from: tjspiel on May 12, 2024, 04:19 PMNice breeze today so I had a chance to try out reefing with it in place.

Much easier !

Still have a use for my old sail stop. Noticed all the slugs were piling up on top of the boom when dropping the main and the boom at its lowest position. I normally like to raise the boom a bit when putting the boat away by sliding the shackle over the reefing hook and raising the halyard a smidge.

It was tough to do with all the slugs jammed on top of it so I put a sail stop in a few inches up and the slugs pile up on it instead.

Thanks for all the ideas including the aluminum carpet threshold and the nylon thumb screws.

Worked great !
Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

tjspiel

Quote from: Straander on May 15, 2024, 12:08 PMI was going to work on a homebrew solution for this as well this year. Can you post any pictures of yours?

I'll take a picture the next time I'm on the boat.

DBthal

Here's the mastgate I made for my P-165.

You cannot view this attachment.
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

tjspiel

Quote from: DBthal on May 15, 2024, 02:35 PMHere's the mastgate I made for my P-165.

Mine is not as nice looking. :)

tjspiel

So here's mine, - made from an aluminum carpet threshold:

It had to be bent a bit more than it was already. Just put it in a vise and bent it by hand.

Quantico Frank

Quote from: DBthal on May 15, 2024, 02:35 PMHere's the mastgate I made for my P-165.

Dan, remind me again what material you made yours from?
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

DBthal

Frank,

I used a piece of aluminum door threshold from Lowes.
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Straander

Very nice looking, like its designed to go there.
Same idea for the 3d-printed one I'm designing. Hopefully I'll finally try it out this summer.

Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington