Soggy, windy start to the season. How's it going for everyone else?

Started by tjspiel, May 28, 2024, 04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjspiel

I've been managing to get out about once a week so far but out of this whole weekend really only Sunday night was very nice. It was just about perfect so I can't complain too much but most days it's either raining, super windy, or both. Wishing I had put in that second reefing point.

How's it going for everyone else?

Brian N.

You cannot view this attachment.

Got out last Friday - slow sail, boat hardly moving. Lots of power boats and PWC. If the wind calms down (20-25 knots) I might get out again later this week.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Riggerdood

Um, I'm getting close to completing my new hatch boards, does that count? Tongue and groove cedar siding panels. Old boards leak like crazy, trying to improve on them. These will be 2-part instead of 3, and will have a door sweep type seal at the bottom. Four panels top, 2-1/2 bottom. Ready to cut to final shape, then sanding and a few coats of spar urethane. Yes, the bottom ones were cut from a different board, and are lighter. I'll use a cleaner on all of them before finishing, to achieve a uniform shade.

1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

tjspiel

Quote from: Riggerdood on May 28, 2024, 10:17 PMUm, I'm getting close to completing my new hatch boards, does that count? Tongue and groove cedar siding panels. Old boards leak like crazy, trying to improve on them. These will be 2-part instead of 3, and will have a door sweep type seal at the bottom. Four panels top, 2-1/2 bottom. Ready to cut to final shape, then sanding and a few coats of spar urethane. Yes, the bottom ones were cut from a different board, and are lighter. I'll use a cleaner on all of them before finishing, to achieve a uniform shade.

Someone on the Facebook group made hatch boards from cedar like that. They looked great and so will yours. Might do the same someday.

DBthal

P-165 is ready to go in for the season.

However, I'm on my annual flyfishing trip in the Western Maine "mountains".

Should splash around June 8th.

Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

gary-s

Sorry to say I still haven't splashed. Hopefully this week.
I've recently spent several hours cleaning up the non-skid on the P21.
I ran out of the " Shore line Marine—Non Skid Deck cleaner" I was using previously.  Instead I tried "Soft Scrub with Bleach" which worked quite well using a stiff nylon bristle brush. The non-skid had a bad case of milder or some kind of green algae on much of it.  I had tried several other household cleaners but found I needed something with bleach to cut the crud.  That and a garden hose and a lot of elbow grease.
What do some of you folks use to clean the non skid?

Gary—Minnesota

Brian N.

I've had good success cleaning the non-skid with "409" and Fantastik. For general cleaning a few squirts of Dawn in a bucket of water works well.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Riggerdood

Quote from: tjspiel on May 29, 2024, 02:13 PM
Quote from: Riggerdood on May 28, 2024, 10:17 PMUm, I'm getting close to completing my new hatch boards ... <snip>
Someone on the Facebook group made hatch boards from cedar like that. They looked great and so will yours. Might do the same someday.
Yes, that was Jon Cooper Tom. His boards are what inspired me to make some as well, and he's been a big help via messenger. Got them trimmed to shape today, sanded, test fitted, and ready for finishing.

Quantico Frank

Still not in! The boat has been ready to go for a couple weeks and has been sitting pretty on the trailer. In Sweden right now, but our flights out on Sunday connect through Keflavík where we stayed Sunday/Monday before the eruption. (We visited the volcanic Blue Lagoon on Monday which they just closed.) Hoping against hope that our return flights don't get completely screwed up. Either way, won't make the Happy Hour tomorrow night so let me know what I missed. With my luck, and with Tim's knack for scheduling fascinating surprise guests, I'm sure he will have Taylor Swift on with you tomorrow  ::) .
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Riggerdood

Safe travels getting home Frank. Tay Tay (yes, we're on a first name basis) asked to be on the PSHH tomorrow, but now I'll have to tell her she has to wait until you're back.  ;D

tjspiel

Quote from: Riggerdood on May 30, 2024, 11:25 AMSafe travels getting home Frank. Tay Tay (yes, we're on a first name basis) asked to be on the PSHH tomorrow, but now I'll have to tell her she has to wait until you're back.  ;D

My daughter is going to be very disappointed. ;)