News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

The new "normal"

Started by noelH, Jun 01, 2024, 12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelH

For the past couple decades have been keeping a log of day, conditions that I went windsurfing, now adding wind foiling and sailing. The trend has been less total days.  But more extreme days. And less number of those days.  Last season was the worst in terms of days out on the water.  Windsurf(>F4 days) and windfoil(>F3 days) total hit a new record low. Sailing days hit a new record low.  Blamed the western wild fires messing up the weather.  ElNino this year, La Nina last year. It is real early in the Lake Superior sailing season. But real similar pattern. Classic this Memorial Day weekend. One day, nukin' winds. Other 3 days. Nada. Talked to my neighbor who is charter captain. Comment was 40kts or 4kts.  Time will tell if the trend continues. Cannot really get much worse.

Sage S15
 Vela

Brian N.

Noel - I tend to think differently about my days out on the water and other activities. Sailing, fly fishing, kayaking, hiking, archery and gardening all have their "days", but I don't keep count. Each is a blessing and I never feel obligated to do one more than another just because I did not rack up enough days in that activity. I get it, the sailing season is relatively short, and it gives you great enjoyment. But for me its not the number of miles traveled, but the road taken. Enjoy the ride.
Fair winds
Brian N.