Where are all the Albemarle Sound sailors?

Started by pgandw, Jun 03, 2024, 11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pgandw

There seems to be a dearth of sailing activity around Albemarle Sound this year.  Please tell me things will pick up.

Aside from a Sunfish or two, and one cruising catboat, I've yet to see any sailboats actually sailing in 2024.  Going by Facebook (no actual websites), none of the yacht clubs seem to have any activity in 2024, much less any racing.  A few fishermen go out early in the morning, and there are a couple of boats out pulling crab pots.  There are powerboats and jet skis active on the weekends, but that's about it.  On the water activity is substantially down this year, and almost non-existent for sailing.  No lines at any of the boat ramps, even on weekends.

There is the Outer Banks 140, but that's well south of the Albemarle.  I hope Pamlico Sound is still active.

Hoping things will change in the Albemarle.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19  Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

Wolverine

My club, the Sailing Club of Oriental (SCOO), is currently on an Abermarle loop cruise. I hope to get up to Elizabeth City in my Compac 19 sometime this year.
I'd like to participate in the OBX 140, but I can't find any info online.
1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

DBthal

Wolverine,

From the Small Craft Advisor calendar:

"OBX130 is 13 - 18 August at Cape Lookout National Seashore, Outer Banks, North Carolina. Sailing north, with a stop in historic Portsmouth before heading south to the Ophelia Inlet Anchorage and towards the Cape Lookout Lighthouse and the Shackleford Banks. As always, the route will be subject to updates based on the wind, weather, and tide forecasts. facebook.com/events/s/2024-obx130/"

Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Wolverine

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I'll be out of state. 😣
Facebook, I refuse to partake in it.
1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

pgandw

Quote from: Wolverine on Jun 03, 2024, 08:49 PMThanks for the info. Unfortunately I'll be out of state. 😣
Facebook, I refuse to partake in it.
I was in your shoes - absolutely refused to do anything with Facebook.  Unfortunately, Facebook is universally used in Eastern NC for online communications.  Building/establishing a web presence for small groups outside of Facebook is rather difficult and expensive in comparison.  I gave in to Facebook because it's the only game in town, but participate on a very modest basis.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19  Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC