EZ Loader Fin Keel Trailer

Started by OGFuzzy, Jun 03, 2024, 11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OGFuzzy

Does anyone have any experience with these trailers? I am in the middle of a major repair/restoration on one and I'm still having trouble getting any kind of really useful information. All I know for sure is even EZ Loader wants nothing to do with these trailers and was pretty useless as a resource.

I'm going to assume by the many structural issues that it's a terrible design. I'm at a point where I can make structural and design changes without much issue but I'm not sure what, if anything, I should change.

Columbia 26 MkII

Dave Scobie

EZLoader will no longer have anything to do with sailboats.  This policy has been in place for many years.  I discussed with them trailers when I ran Sage Marine and they were explicit on not wanting to do anything with a sailboat.

OGFuzzy

Ha that was painfully obvious. That's why I'm here... asking Joe Q Public for first-hand experience.
Columbia 26 MkII

pgandw

I had an EZ Loader trailer for my ODay 25 (late 70s to early 90s).  The good thing I can say about the trailer was that it was easily adjustable - because I had to a lot of adjusting to get the tongue weight in the correct ballpark, the rollers where they should be, and had to add extra keel rollers to make the thing work properly.  Once adjusted, it was a pretty good trailer (trailered from Miami to North Channel Lake Huron Key West, and Annapolis).

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19  Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

OGFuzzy

Quote from: pgandw on Jun 04, 2024, 08:33 PMI had an EZ Loader trailer for my ODay 25 (late 70s to early 90s).  The good thing I can say about the trailer was that it was easily adjustable - because I had to a lot of adjusting to get the tongue weight in the correct ballpark, the rollers where they should be, and had to add extra keel rollers to make the thing work properly.  Once adjusted, it was a pretty good trailer (trailered from Miami to North Channel Lake Huron Key West, and Annapolis).

Fred W

Did you have the one where the uprights were on a pivoting crossmember or fixed? I've seen photos of both, at this point.
Columbia 26 MkII

pgandw

Quote from: OGFuzzy on Jun 04, 2024, 09:15 PM
Quote from: pgandw on Jun 04, 2024, 08:33 PMI had an EZ Loader trailer for my ODay 25 (late 70s to early 90s).  The good thing I can say about the trailer was that it was easily adjustable - because I had to a lot of adjusting to get the tongue weight in the correct ballpark, the rollers where they should be, and had to add extra keel rollers to make the thing work properly.  Once adjusted, it was a pretty good trailer (trailered from Miami to North Channel Lake Huron Key West, and Annapolis).

Fred W

Did you have the one where the uprights were on a pivoting crossmember or fixed? I've seen photos of both, at this point.
Everything was pivoting.  My biggest issues were lack of support for the stub keel, and tongue weight.  I installed multiple keel rollers for the keel.  I had to adjust the location of the axles a couple of times to get the right tongue weight.

Fred W