News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Fixed VHF on P21

Started by talbot, Jun 13, 2024, 07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjspiel

I've had occasional problems with uploading images. Sometimes just trying a little bit later has worked. A couple of months ago I sent an email to one of the moderators because the site was complaining about a space problem and they took care of it.

Quantico Frank

Quote from: talbot on Jun 22, 2024, 01:41 PMFrank -- I have lost those electrical fittings from the cable and the deck. In my case, it was caused by the Genoa sheets running around the forward edge of the mast. What some of us have done is put a cowling over the whole connection.

Talbot, that sounds like an interesting solution, and I do remember something about that. That could easily be my problem. In the picture it seems you have the bottom of the elbow riveted into something— what was that?
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

talbot

Here's the final installation:

A data cable runs aft into the cockpit.

The remote mic connection is sheltered in the fuel locker. I will install another mic clip in the cockpit for when I am actually using the thing. Most of the year it would just be in the way. Hence the hidden location.

I tried to place the cockpit mic where I could reach it from where I usually drive the boat. I have kept my portable on the bulkhead and on the transom, and both were out of reach. Here is how far the mic cord reaches. Should be ok on a port tack. Have to remember not to have any emergencies on starboard. The Dachshund butt on the gunwale is not essential to the installation, but in my case is unavoidable.

Talbot Bielefeldt
Precision 21 "Starlight"
Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon

Quantico Frank

Talbot, looks good. Right now I have my remote mic on the cabin exterior bulkhead which is handy, but leaves it exposed so I disconnect it and put it into the cabin after every sail, both because it's expensive, and it's out of the elements. It would be nice to have ANY kind of secure storage in the P165's cockpit.

talbot

I think the cockpit on the 165 is short enough that your solution is ideal.
As for your question about the mast cowling, that 4" sewer pipe has a grate that just fits inside it. A screw passes through a cut-out section of that grate and hooks under an eye strap on the deck. See below:

Talbot Bielefeldt
Precision 21 "Starlight"
Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon

Quantico Frank

Thanks, Talbot. I'm actually starting to think about something like this:

https://www.westmarine.com/blue-sea-systems-side-entry-cableclam-with-stainless-steel-dress-cap-14982532.html?queryID=311aec4c5ef73a265bef549c1702e821&objectID=14982532&indexName=production_na01_westmarine_demandware_net__WestMarine__products__en_US

Then I could just lengthen the cable and make a new connection, using one of those waterproof automotive or trailer connectors that Dan posted a picture of a little while ago. It seems the key is to have the cable come out of the deck horizontally, rather than vertically, heading toward the mast. Thoughts?

talbot

Seems like that should work. I considered that fitting for my aerial connection, but ended up going with a traditional vertical connector with rubber boot. Remember that the deck fitting you're considering was designed around RG8X data cable, not triplex power cable, so check to make sure the opening fits your wiring. Best of luck with your night sailing ventures!
Talbot Bielefeldt
Precision 21 "Starlight"
Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon