Ashland Wi. and raw sewage dumps. I'm RANTING again.

Started by noelH, Jun 14, 2024, 02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelH

2018, 2020, 2023 were the last 3 major (millions of gallons) of raw sewage released by the City of Ashland into Chequamegon Bay.Google for details.  Noticed yesterday a large brown swath of water being driven up against the windward side (S) side of Long Is./Chequamegon Pt.  No brown run off from the rivers and streams N of Houghton Pt outside the Bay. Sure hope it was major rainwater stream run off.

If we piss off the stern of a boat it is a major fine. If Ashland dumps sh... into L. Superior it's a so what. P... me off. Cities of Washburn and Bayfield spent mega $$$$s upgrading their water treatment and storm water system resulting in moderate water and sewage fee increase for the residents. Ashland, not a priority.
Sage S15
 Vela

Norm L.

I hear ya.
It's not just those who use water for recreational purposes. There is a rural area north of the lake with widely scattered homes, most built prior to 2000. They all have septic tanks. Recent studies have shown that the septic tanks have ceased working and the roadside ditches are polluted.
That's no big deal to the homeowners. But it was found that mosquitoes are thriving in the polluted water. They don't want that.
A follow up study feels that there are about 30,000 homes that need to have their septic systems repaired or completely replaced. Folks won't pay to do that. Politicians want to keep their jobs so don't want to pass laws and force it or charge the entire county to have the county do it. Maybe they will just pass out Deet.

noelH

No news regarding sewage dump is good news. Guessing just storm water run off. The state maintains an interactive map with beach closures and advisories. Last update was the 13th.  All the beaches in Ashland are under advisory or closed due to bacterial levels.  All of the Washburn beaches and northwards are open. Forecast is for several days of rain.  Could get interesting. 

We had our first major hit of Spongy Caterpillars (the previously labeled Gypsy) last year. Just a few counties in NW quarter of the state that are not under quarantine. Took them ~century to get from MA to here. MN is next.  The rainfall this past early Spring to now is a blessing. Maimaiga fungus (imported from Japan) kills the caterpillars, but requires moist soil conditions to thrive.  Cool video at a Cornell website showing a time elapsed video of the fungus killing the invasive and devastating cats. But, the rain also places stress on the municipal water treatment plants. So far, have only been squishing the native tent caterpillars. We get 7-11 year heavy infestation cycles. Poplar, birch, maple, and oak trees get stripped of their foliage. Healthy trees recover. The Spongy eat everything. Including conifers, blueberries, apple.... Consecutive years will result in a thin Northwoods. 
Sage S15
 Vela

Noemi - Ensenada 20

My city has spent millions of dollars upgrading the stormwater runoff system so we don't dump sewage into the river any more.  Lots of people grousing about taxes....but the river is cleaner.

I have a friend in Connecticut working on predators to attack the Emerald Ash Borer.  I'm glad there are entomologists in the world!