20 miles down the Columbia in an El Toro

Started by westcoaster, Apr 05, 2023, 03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoaster

Many years ago...all my stories start that way these days... thinking it would be a good idea, I had a friend haul myself, my 8' el toro, and gear in crummy day bags to the 42nd St launch ramp by the airport.  My trip was to be from Portland to Astoria, about 96 miles downstream.  Back then the Icom handheld was not waterproof.  I chose the day based upon schedule, always an error but sometimes a necessity.  Wind was light out of the south west and....it started to rain.  I was snugged up in my cheap foulies, sitting in the bottom of the boat with gear bags around.  After a spell the boat bottom began to show signs of the rain.

To make a short story shorter, the rain continued unabated, water was a couple inches deep in the boat, my day bags failed, my foul weather gear leaked, the Icom in the plastic bag shorted out and in general I was miserable.  I managed to get down to and up the Willamette to Multnomah Channel, sailed into a marina about 20 miles from where I set out, called my friend to come and get me, I'd had all the fun I could stand.  The rain continued.....

Doug SC

The best laid plans of mice and sailors. Thanks for sharing. I have been on a backpacking trip like that. It motivated me to improve my gear for bad weather.

Captain Kidd

Alas! A post under tales and trips.

True - some trips don't work out as planned, but you sure made a memory. The mundane, ordinary seldom leave lasting memories.

A good tale! I'd guess most of us have had similar experiences.

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Alas = oh no

Maybe Hark!  or....?

Captain Kidd

Norm L.

I think that is fine usage. Noemi is just so young she is not familiar with great synonyms. like zounds, egad, gadzooks, what the deuce, and phooey.

noelH

Similar soggy experience.

Seeing the sailboats I was thinking.  Wrong form of sea craft.

Decades ago I was on a solo couple week sea kayaking trip around the Apostle Islands.  All was fine for several days until the weather went wet & cold.  NE winds and rain.  Long fetch = bigger seas = constant spray showers when not raining.  Seems like always setting up camp in the rain.  Luckily packed a "cook tent".  The ancient Chouinard pyramid tent.   Otherwise it would have been cooking and eating in the rain. Never dry or warm.  Packed it in. Paddled back to Stockton Is.  One more cold & wet camp.  Next day back to Red Cliff and into Bayfield.  Had a couple nights and days to kill before needing to head back to Rochester.  Not much in Bayfield back then.  So eat and drink.  At least I was warm and dry.
Sage S15
 Vela