Dropping my mast, need to do a couple of things

Started by Tom G P 21, Apr 05, 2023, 08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom G P 21

Since I started to store my boat in a boat yard I haven't had to drop my mast. Now that I am installing a furler need to do a couple of things and looking for advice;
Never had a Windex on my boat, when I was taking sailing lessons the boats had them and found myself always looking at it. Is the masthead prepped for it or will I have to do some drill and tapping? Probably go with a Windex 10.
Need to put on some spreader boots boots on to protect my new jib. Seems like the only thing available are the Taylor made rubber ones. But what size S,M, or L?
Replace the lightbulb. Its the original socket with the wooden block. I remember it being a bayonet butt anyone know what size?
Will put some PVC tubes over the standing rigging as well.
Anything else I should do?

Riggerdood

All great questions Tom.

The windex can usually be mounted on the top or side of the mast, whichever fits better. I just used self-tappers on mine.

I got tired of the conventional type spreader boots rotting in the sun, so I went with these. 2+ years, and so far so good:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WWNYY4G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which light bulb are you needing to replace? I replaced steaming and anchor bulbs with these LEDs:

https://store.marinebeam.com/compact-ge89-and-ge90-replacement-for-attwood-perko

https://store.marinebeam.com/8-led-isotropic-31mm-festoon-bulb

I think the cool white ones look the best, but that's just me, and what marinebeam recommends.

Other stuff could be checking the wiring top and bottom for cracks, etc., McLubing your masthead sheaves and sailslot, etc. etc. etc.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Straander

Those spreader boots look great! I'm going to see if they fit on my P165 right away.

Quote from: Riggerdood on Apr 05, 2023, 10:45 PMAll great questions Tom.

The windex can usually be mounted on the top or side of the mast, whichever fits better. I just used self-tappers on mine.

I got tired of the conventional type spreader boots rotting in the sun, so I went with these. 2+ years, and so far so good:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WWNYY4G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which light bulb are you needing to replace? I replaced steaming and anchor bulbs with these LEDs:

https://store.marinebeam.com/compact-ge89-and-ge90-replacement-for-attwood-perko

https://store.marinebeam.com/8-led-isotropic-31mm-festoon-bulb

I think the cool white ones look the best, but that's just me, and what marinebeam recommends.

Other stuff could be checking the wiring top and bottom for cracks, etc., McLubing your masthead sheaves and sailslot, etc. etc. etc.

Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

Brian N.

I've used the Taylor made small on the P165. Tim's link to leather and Velcro boots seemed interesting. The Rubber spreader boots seem to last about 3 years or so, before they degrade. I might be in year four of the current pair. I do secure them with tape.
Fair winds
Brian N.

talbot

You can also get leather boots. Another thing that is easy to add is plastic sail rollers above the spreaders. They snap on and help the sail slip past.

I think we are wondering about the "wooden block" reference. Wondering if you have a modified mast or maybe very early model.

The standard masthead on most boats has a Perko light facing forward with a single Festoon bulb that mounts directly to the Dwyer sheave housing. Some of us have upgraded to a 2-bulb Perko so we have an anchor light. (This requires a third wire run to the AUX circuit on the panel.) Plus, at that point it's easy to change the Festoon bulbs for LEDs.

BTW, there are many systems around for raising/lowering Precision masts. Once you settle on one and learn how to use it, it's not that big a deal. And if you are adding a Windex, you will get lots of practice, as standard operating procedure is to forget to mount the Windex before you rig, then swear and throw tools for a few minutes before you lower the mast, put the damn thing on, and raise the mast a second time.
Talbot Bielefeldt
Precision 21 "Starlight"
Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon

tjspiel

Quote from: talbot on Apr 06, 2023, 05:51 PMI think we are wondering about the "wooden block" reference. Wondering if you have a modified mast or maybe very early model.

I'm assuming this is the steaming light. Mine is mounted the same way. There's a wooden block that sits against the mast and the receptacle is recessed into that.

Riggerdood

Quote from: Straander on Apr 06, 2023, 01:31 PMThose spreader boots look great! I'm going to see if they fit on my P165 right away.
Straander, the spreaders on Rum Line are 1" diameter, and the small version of these seems to fit pretty well, with a little room to spare if you have smaller diameter spreaders.

Riggerdood

Quote from: Brian N. on Apr 06, 2023, 05:36 PMI've used the Taylor made small on the P165. Tim's link to leather and Velcro boots seemed interesting. The Rubber spreader boots seem to last about 3 years or so, before they degrade. I might be in year four of the current pair. I do secure them with tape.
Brian, in FL, I never got more than a year out of them. I zip tied them on and then taped them. Your boat is covered for several months, so that probably helps. These are velcroed on, with strategically placed shock cord that helps make them very secure.

Riggerdood

Quote from: talbot on Apr 06, 2023, 05:51 PMBTW, there are many systems around for raising/lowering Precision masts. Once you settle on one and learn how to use it, it's not that big a deal. And if you are adding a Windex, you will get lots of practice, as standard operating procedure is to forget to mount the Windex before you rig, then swear and throw tools for a few minutes before you lower the mast, put the damn thing on, and raise the mast a second time.
That's pretty damn funny talbot! I solved that problem by not removing the windex to begin with ...

I agree with Tom (tjspiel) that Tom (Tom G P 21) is probably referring to the steaming light, but I listed both in case anyone else was looking for an anchor 360 LED.

Tom G P 21

Yes sorry it is the steaming light, I have my 21 is hull number 020, made in 1988. This has a woodenblock around the base. Riggerdood I was looking at those spreader covers as well and was wondering about the velcro holding?

Thanks for the suggestions

Tom

Straander

The P165's spreaders are only 5/8"s. You said that the small can go smaller then a 1" spreader?

Quote from: Riggerdood on Apr 06, 2023, 11:05 PM
Quote from: Straander on Apr 06, 2023, 01:31 PMThose spreader boots look great! I'm going to see if they fit on my P165 right away.
Straander, the spreaders on Rum Line are 1" diameter, and the small version of these seems to fit pretty well, with a little room to spare if you have smaller diameter spreaders.

Riggerdood

Quote from: Tom G P 21 on Apr 07, 2023, 07:40 AMYes sorry it is the steaming light, I have my 21 is hull number 020, made in 1988. This has a woodenblock around the base. Riggerdood I was looking at those spreader covers as well and was wondering about the velcro holding?

Thanks for the suggestions

Tom
No prob Tom. The velcro has held well for 2+ years. It doesn't wear much because they don't get taken off/put back on very often. I think I've taken them off twice in that time, to inspect the rigging wire that keeps the shroud in the spreader slot. If they ever show any signs of not holding, I'll just wrap some zip ties or rigging wire around them.

Riggerdood

Quote from: Straander on Apr 07, 2023, 11:25 AMThe P165's spreaders are only 5/8"s. You said that the small can go smaller then a 1" spreader?
Yes, I believe so, but you wouldn't have as much velcro mating surface, so you might need to wrap them with zip ties or rigging wire, or even rigging tape might work.

Straander

Dang. Looks like according to that image below my spreaders diameter of 16mm is way too small for the smallest one of these.

Quote from: Riggerdood on Apr 07, 2023, 12:37 PM
Quote from: Straander on Apr 07, 2023, 11:25 AMThe P165's spreaders are only 5/8"s. You said that the small can go smaller then a 1" spreader?
Yes, I believe so, but you wouldn't have as much velcro mating surface, so you might need to wrap them with zip ties or rigging wire, or even rigging tape might work.

talbot

No wonder the electrical is a little different from my boat built 20 yrs later. Sorry for the confusion.
Talbot Bielefeldt
Precision 21 "Starlight"
Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon