Dropping my mast, need to do a couple of things

Started by Tom G P 21, Apr 05, 2023, 08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riggerdood

Quote from: Straander on Apr 07, 2023, 12:59 PMDang. Looks like according to that image below my spreaders diameter of 16mm is way too small for the smallest one of these.

Hmmm, I seem to recall them having a similar chart for round spreader tubes? That chart is for flat spreaders, and the specs would be different for round ones. If you'd like, next time I have the mast down, I could take one off and wrap it around a piece of 5/8" tubing I have left over from another project, just as a test?
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Quantico Frank

As a P165'er, I think that would be great, Tim!
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Riggerdood

Actually, looking at it right now, I might be able to reach the stbd spreader end from the garage roof, and not have to drop the mast. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

DBthal

QuotePosted by Riggerdood  - Apr 08, 2023, 10:23 PM
Actually, looking at it right now, I might be able to reach the stbd spreader end from the garage roof, and not have to drop the mast. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

:o
Careful Tim!
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Quantico Frank

Quote from: Riggerdood on Apr 08, 2023, 10:23 PMActually, looking at it right now, I might be able to reach the stbd spreader end from the garage roof, and not have to drop the mast. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

No rush, Tim. I'm just into the second year of my Taylor Made.

Straander

Sure. Thatd be very helpful.

Quote from: Riggerdood on Apr 07, 2023, 11:30 PM
Quote from: Straander on Apr 07, 2023, 12:59 PMDang. Looks like according to that image below my spreaders diameter of 16mm is way too small for the smallest one of these.

Hmmm, I seem to recall them having a similar chart for round spreader tubes? That chart is for flat spreaders, and the specs would be different for round ones. If you'd like, next time I have the mast down, I could take one off and wrap it around a piece of 5/8" tubing I have left over from another project, just as a test?
Quote from: Riggerdood on Apr 07, 2023, 11:30 PM
Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

Riggerdood

Quote from: DBthal on Apr 09, 2023, 08:00 AM:o
Careful Tim!
I was Dan, and I couldn't reach it. Gonna have to lower the mast.

Riggerdood

Guys, I couldn't reach the spreader from the roof, so gonna have to lower the mast, prolly tomorrow.

Riggerdood

OK, lowered the mast today, and discovered an error in my previous posts: Rum Line's spreaders are 1-1/8" diameter, not the 1" I had remembered (it's been 2 years, OK?). The covers I bought are indeed part # 1050, the smallest ones they offer. As someone who used to sew stuff for a living, it's doubtful they could make one much smaller using the same design template, but I digress. The first pic shows it installed on Rum Line. It's about as snug as I can make it without overlapping the two sides, which it never occurred to me to try until about a minute after taking it off and putting it on the 5/8" piece of copper pipe in the second pic.

Bottom line? I still think these could work on the P-165's 5/8" spreaders. Might not be the prettiest install, but given the way these things completely wrap around and encapsulate the spreader end/shroud, they wouldn't be going anywhere.

One thing to keep in mind is that you still need a proper wire tie inside the cover, that keeps the shroud in the groove of the spreader end, but still allows it to slide freely.

Let me know what you think.

You cannot view this attachment.

Quantico Frank

Looks great, Tim, thanks so much for the effort! I'll probably go with these once my Taylor Mades fall apart.

Riggerdood

No prob Frank - I was as curious as you guys were. While the mast is down, I'm also taking the opportunity to McLube the sheaves and mast slot since it's been a while.

tjspiel

One thing I've learned from this thread is that the spreaders on P-18s (at least the old ones) are pretty small compared to other boats. I haven't measured them but I doubt the diameter is even 5/8.  I'll have to measure tonight when I get home.

Straander

Thank you. I think I will get them too.

on your comment involving the wire tie: The P165 has a screw that you tighten in to keep the shrouds in the end of the spreaders. Is that the function you had in mind? Or Is the wire tie needed for something else?

Quote from: Riggerdood on Apr 11, 2023, 12:37 AMOK, lowered the mast today, and discovered an error in my previous posts: Rum Line's spreaders are 1-1/8" diameter, not the 1" I had remembered (it's been 2 years, OK?). The covers I bought are indeed part # 1050, the smallest ones they offer. As someone who used to sew stuff for a living, it's doubtful they could make one much smaller using the same design template, but I digress. The first pic shows it installed on Rum Line. It's about as snug as I can make it without overlapping the two sides, which it never occurred to me to try until about a minute after taking it off and putting it on the 5/8" piece of copper pipe in the second pic.

Bottom line? I still think these could work on the P-165's 5/8" spreaders. Might not be the prettiest install, but given the way these things completely wrap around and encapsulate the spreader end/shroud, they wouldn't be going anywhere.

One thing to keep in mind is that you still need a proper wire tie inside the cover, that keeps the shroud in the groove of the spreader end, but still allows it to slide freely.

Let me know what you think.

Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

Riggerdood

Quote from: tjspiel on Apr 11, 2023, 12:23 PMOne thing I've learned from this thread is that the spreaders on P-18s (at least the old ones) are pretty small compared to other boats. I haven't measured them but I doubt the diameter is even 5/8.  I'll have to measure tonight when I get home.
Wow, really Tom? I can't imagine they'd be smaller than the 165? These on Rum Line seem to be proportional to other similar sized boats. I know on the DS they came up with "heavy duty" spreaders because the originals were undersized. Those also corresponded to the standing rigging being upgraded to 1/8" cable.

Riggerdood

Quote from: Straander on Apr 11, 2023, 01:15 PMThank you. I think I will get them too.

on your comment involving the wire tie: The P165 has a screw that you tighten in to keep the shrouds in the end of the spreaders. Is that the function you had in mind? Or Is the wire tie needed for something else?
No prob Straander. I'm not familiar with the fittings on the ends of the 165 spreaders. The RS22 has a round end cap with a groove for the shroud, and a couple of holes in the spreader to pass the rigging wire through. As long as the screw that you mention keeps the shroud in place while still allowing it to slide freely, you should be good to go, and simply install the boots over that.