overheating

Started by gmart52, Jun 23, 2023, 03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmart52

Hi everyone.  I would like some feedback concerning a health issue which involves sailing. I'm 71 YOA and I have a Potter 15 and Cat 270.  In the last couple of years I have become more sensitive to the sun. I can't be out in the sun as I used to.  I Take blood pressure meds and I hear that this is contributing factor.  Any comments on this?  I know that there are a lot of sailors my age and I want to continue enjoying my boats. Thanks for your support

Bud

I take a medication that makes me react unfavorably to the sun. Here is what I do. I wear long pants long sleeve shirts and a wide-brim hat. I also have, I forget the name, something that covers my entire head. The only thing showing is my eyes. I wear this during the summer months.

gmart52

Bud, thanks for your response.  It sounds good.  I'll give it a try.  Im on blood pressure meds which they say is a problem in the heat.  I'm sure there are a lot of old timers out there that may have experienced the same. It's too soon to give up. Thanks again.

Judy B

Are you getting overheated or is your skin over sensitive? If you're get overheated easily, you should talk to your doctor about it.

If your skin is hypersensitive, invest in some high quality, high tech outdoor clothing.  I've been wearing shirts and pants from Railriders.com for almost 20 years.  It's extremely well ventilated, it wears like iron, drys quickly, and has a high SPF rating. It's cooler than wearing shorts and short sleeves too. 

I wear it for any and all outdoor activity's from 60 to 100 degrees. 

https://www.railriders.com/?gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqNqkBhDlARIsAFaxvwwXQTmENHHUDKlPZC3lkWvmX1QC7PqM43tgqJ13UYCnRrNeKEGeeE8aAnN9EALw_wcB
Judy Blumhorst
San Francisco Bay and Delta, California
2013 Potter 19 modified with bulb keel and bowsprit
1992 Corsair F24 Mk1

Charles Brennan

Gmart52, I too, have issues with blood pressure meds and overheating.  Here in north central Florida, where in August, it feels like you're walking across the face of the Sun, what works for me is Frogg Toggs.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/frogg-toggs-chilly-pad-cool-towel?
You cannot view this attachment. 

Just wet it down and drape around your neck.  If it starts to feel warm, flip it over.  When it drys out, just wet it down again.  Seems to work, whether using fresh or salt water.
Something about the chamois texture seems to make it work better than simply using a dish towel.
Recommended.

Hope this helps,
Charles Brennan

doug 26RK

I'm with Judy. SPF 30 or 50 is available in all sorts of clothing, styles and price range. Last year my wife and I joined our daughter and grandsons for a week on the beach in Jamaica without a burn. I'm 72 and on blood pressure meds. If Dr. says ok, dress for success, hydrate and enjoy.

Doug SC

Just like Judy I wear light weight quick dry long sleeve shirts and long pants. Rei bran makes some lightweight pants that dry very quickly. They don't sound as tough as those Judy just recommended but aren't as expensive. I have a number of long sleeve fishing shirts by Columbia, Field & Stream, and REI. The face gaiter or Buff is what Bud mentioned, and I have 2. UV light can cause my autoimmune disorder to flare up. I had something I bought at a tennis shop years ago similar to what Charles Brennan posted. It's long gone so I might try his idea too.