News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

The Original Fid

Started by Riley Smith, Jul 13, 2024, 09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riley Smith

The shop has been undergoing a "renovation". What that actually means in the end is debatable at the moment, but there are LOTS of things that have been moved around, sorted, some canned, and others stowed.  I have enough fasteners to build the Titanic and I don't think I'll ever use all of them. Or NEED them. The 30 yr old bench grinder has bit the dust and the drill press needs moving to a different spot. So...things are in flux let's say. There are jobs in and out in the middle of all that. I just repaired the John Deere drive belt in between ripping a repurposed cabinet up that had suffered overload. And so somewhere in the vast pile of junk, I ran into what I think was the original fid that I used to make the original halyards. With instructions no less! Put up for that time I needed it again, all these years and miles later.
 I do need it. I had ordered one because I didn't think I had one, and it got cancelled somehow and the job faltered. Now, at least I have to tool to do the halyard(s). And as I mentioned too, a while ago, that requires a trip somewhere other than my local area to get line. I'm back and forth to Mobile with getting the neck bones screwed together, so a rope side trip isn't a big deal. Or heck, even a Sunday drive.
 Then at least the boat will be whole one more time. Well, with the exception of the floorboard, but I was planning on doing that early tomorrow morning when the shop is cool. The wood and fasteners are already laid out. I have a piece of cypress that came from the Labrot House rebuild all those years ago to use on it. And I can actually move around in the place!
 I'm eyeing a pile of mahogany strips taking up space too. If they were turned into something useful, I have even MORE space and could actually USE the garbage can that is holding them! I think I love this not working thing. Maybe I should STAY retired. What's not to like? Up before dawn and cook something to eat. Putter in the shop while it is cool. Take a dip in the pool before the afternoon rain. Nap while the actual rain is falling. And a putter around in between all those times, kicking around with Sonya. We cook, socialize, tend little heathen grandkids, and live life. And you know, it's pretty nice.

Riley