I just saw a trailer addition that none of you will ever use. Probably

Started by Norm L., Jul 16, 2024, 03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm L.

I follow a boat auctioneer in Australia that has a monthly boat auction brochure posted. Since Australia is such a sailing country there are frequently some really amazing blue water sailboats up for auction. Usually from bankruptcy or estate sale. I just love looking at what pops up.

For July there was a very nice, trailered power boat on an "offroad" trailer. I've heard some stories and the Aussie that posted here last year got out into the outback. The access to some large water bodies can be via unpaved roads and without paved ramps.

This trailer looked normal except for a highly adjustable tongue for length, and boat hull shields.
On both sides of the trailer frame at the bow were pipe frames as high as the boats deck and running aft to where the bow fairs into the side. Laced into the frame was a canvas or synthetic material that acted as a shield so no rocks could be thrown up by the ute and hit the bow of the boat.

I guess such a device could be used here in areas with swarming mosquitos or love bugs. They won't chip the paint but if left they can start to work on the coating.

Frank B.

At the beginning of the Mexico Beach rebuild following Hurricane Michael, my BIL bought a used camper trailer to put on sight and provide living quarters for those involved with the rebuild.  I think he paid low $20K's for it with a plan to sell it as soon as we could occupy the house, which he did.  Our next door neighbor, a fairly well to do individual, brought in a trailer about the same size that was $125K.  Looked a lot like the old Airstream style trailer.  Asked him about the high price and he said it was an off road unit.  He stated that a lot of the cost had to do with corrosion prevention but most had to do with the suspension.  Said it was used primarily in western states to get to remote sights that had no roads.  Said the suspension was independent by wheel with great range and could travel over bolder laden paths as well as the vehicle that was towing it. Not sure why he needed that for Mexico Beach, but kinda cool.

Norm L.

That actually makes sense for off road camping.  But not that long ago. I thought Glamping was new.