News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Not My Year

Started by Wolverine, Jul 18, 2024, 11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolverine

I spent most of Spring readying my Compac 19/II for the season after it sat idle for 5 years. New sails, running rigging, bilge pump, depth meter, refinished all the teak, polished all the SS hardware, new VHF antenna, new flag staff, electrical panel, new interior cushions, and painted the hull. I thought I was good for the year and ready to go anywhere, then the mishap during the FL120. Lost the flag staff, lost the windex, scratched the hull, bent the anchor shaft, had to fix the trailer lights before leaving for home, and finally took twice as long to get home because the rain was so bad I couldn't see to drive over 40 mph. Arriving home I polished out the scratches, installed new trailer lights and wiring, and readied her for the Carlyle Lake Rendezvous (CLR) in southern IL. The morning of departure I did a once over and discovered the tiller to be rotted out where it attaches to the rudder. Some epoxy and screws will have to do for now. 2 hours into the trip and just outside Raleigh during rush hour, a trailer tire blew, ripping off the fender and twisting it up under the boat, gouging the hull. It also destroyed the trailer light. The following day something fell off a passing truck, knocking off the left trailer light. The return trip home was uneventful until another truck pulling a long trailer drifted into our lane striking the boat and leaving a large black scuff and scratches.

Any questions why she is named Miss Adventure?

1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

Norm L.

I guess this is an oxymoron, but the almost never-ending sad tale leaves me speechless.
So sorry anyone takes that many hits.

Captain Kidd

Man, oh, man! and my wife thinks the cloud follows her!

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Ed

Reminds me of the song from Hee-Haw ;  If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me. We've all had problems trailering, probably not as many as you, unless you count Charles Brennan! ;-)

Riley Smith

Gloom ! Despair! And misery on me! I hear you about stuffe. Patience is a virtue, that's for sure. We're in a holding pattern with my surgery and yes, budget too. I did manage a time with the FL 120 so that was nice. Sit and wait. Which is a good thing in many ways because I'm retired at the moment and can do some stuffe I need. Except that I am not permitted to do the stuffe I need. Ya see where I'm going????
  It's like a Still hunt. Sit and watch, which is fun sometimes, but others not so much.

I always preferred turning the dogs loose and listen to 'em strike and head my way! Make sure the shell was in the chamber. If you've ever dog hunted you know what I mean. I've given up on this summer. I'm ready for fall.
Riley

Wolverine

She's almost ready for the water again. The tiller rotted out at the attachment point so I bought a new one and am currently Cetoling it. A new Windex has also arrived and is ready for installation. Now if I can chase down where the water is entering the cockpit lockers...
1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

Norm L.

I found the photo. The tiller broke and to replace it I went to Lowe's and got a wheelbarrow handle. Very functional but very less than attractive.

You cannot view this attachment.

Then I got a local boat carpenter make me a replacement that was more attractive than the factory original.

You cannot view this attachment.

Doug SC

If you've ever dog hunted you know what I mean.
[/quote]

My introduction to whitetail deer hunting was a pack of walkers maybe some coon hounds trained for deer. Dad preferred using beagles when we got our dogs. Had several with great noses. Where I live in SC it's not allowed, but it is in the low country. We bought very little beef while the kids were growing up. Venison was the red meat at our house. Once they were on their own, I transitioned to just using recurves and longbows. Bowhunting became my real love for hunting early on.

I feel the fall and my blood quickens, but my passion has shifted focus the last few years. So, I don't spend as much time in the woods as I did. Sailing is taking up more time. I love a southern fall.

Doug SC

Nice looking tiller. If you have to throw money in that hole in the water that's the way to do it.  ;D

Norm L.

The carpenter was interesting. He bought a small barge and built a two-story home/shop on it. He lived up a local north shore river away from civilization. His electrical power via solar panels and a very interesting power control and storage system he designed and built. Most water came from rain. The barge was long enough that he could take two boats alongside to do all of his boat work.
I believe he moved to somewhere around Pensacola or East where he could get more work. It would be interesting to see what he worked out for a tow. 400 HP would be very marginal. It should be at least 600. If you push there has to be someone on the bow to direct as you can't see past the house. If you were pulling it would be great to have someone in a boat with 100 HP as a stern thruster for turns and for a brake.