News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Newcomer

Started by PapawBrett, Jul 21, 2024, 11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PapawBrett

Retired, widower, and starting into a small daysailer (Precision 15' CB). Have already taken beginner sailing lessons at Lake Norman Sailing Club. Have ordered double braided polyester rope to replace Halyards, Sheets and Vane. Researching "whipping" and what makes for a good whipping material (will probably heat-shrink over whipping).
Any suggestions for getting a used (1993) daysailer ready ?
Any serious advice would be appreciated, thanks. Papaw

Wolverine

Welcome!

I too sail NC, but I'm on the ICW.
1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

pgandw

Quote from: PapawBrett on Jul 21, 2024, 11:49 AMRetired, widower, and starting into a small daysailer (Precision 15' CB). Have already taken beginner sailing lessons at Lake Norman Sailing Club. Have ordered double braided polyester rope to replace Halyards, Sheets and Vane. Researching "whipping" and what makes for a good whipping material (will probably heat-shrink over whipping).
Any suggestions for getting a used (1993) daysailer ready ?
Any serious advice would be appreciated, thanks. Papaw
Set the mast up in the yard/driveway before going to the launching ramp.  If there's no wind, you can even hoist the sails.  The point is to find out all the little parts you are missing, or you don't know where it goes.

Both at the ramp or at home:  look up and observe the location of all power lines BEFORE attempting to raise the mast.  My favorite ramp has power lines on 3 sides, I have to have a curved launch/recovery trajectory to use the ramp.  Some other ramps in the area are unusable due to overhead tree limbs or power lines.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19  Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

Monroe

I am still on Lake Norman but aged out of sailing a few years ago. For whipping, waxed twine is excellent.

Are you comfortable sailing alone in mild weather? If so, it just takes practice to get better. For the boatless, the Lake Norman Community Sailing Center offers lessons, group sailing and then members only sailing for a modest cost. A very knowledgeable staff and volunteers can probably help you with any questions about your boat.

PapawBrett

Quote from: Monroe on Jul 21, 2024, 05:31 PMI am still on Lake Norman but aged out of sailing a few years ago. For whipping, waxed twine is excellent.
 the Lake Norman Community Sailing Center offers lessons, group sailing and then members only sailing for a modest cost. A very knowledgeable staff and volunteers can probably help you with any questions about your boat.

Went there for beginners lessons. Nice staff, good start into sailing.
But I told them going in, my goal is single handing a small sailboat, for the peace and simplicity of it. As a Retired Career Trucker, I noticed right away you have to stay engaged with sailing, and I am attracted to that part of it.

NickScheuer

Welcome Wolverine!  I never whip Polyester or Nylon line; just melt the ends using a propane torch.  If the melt forms a "knob-like" mass, merely roll the end on something flat and cold, like an anvil, to shape the end to the right diameter.

Captain Kidd

Quote from: PapawBrett on Jul 21, 2024, 08:00 PMBut I told them going in, my goal is single handing a small sailboat, for the peace and simplicity of it. As a Retired Career Trucker, I noticed right away you have to stay engaged with sailing, and I am attracted to that part of it.

My dad was a trucker, a good man. Not much for the water though. Ditto on staying engaged!

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Quote from: PapawBrett on Jul 21, 2024, 11:49 AMHave ordered double braided polyester rope to replace Halyards, Sheets and Vane.

Be careful replacing halyards.  You want to make sure whatever you use is very low to no stretch.

And welcome!  (we generally call it "line" instead of "rope") :)

Norm L.

When I bought the S2 from a carpet salesman (the interior was carpeted on deck and bulkheads) he called them strings.

Wolverine

I was taught they are ropes until brought aboard. Then they become lines.
1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

PapawBrett

A reminder that used means someone else's junk.
Went to move the boat while mowing, and both 'new' tires were flat.
There is a tire shop in Pageland, SC (about 18 miles from me) that does everything from Tractor Trailer to Lawn Equipment tires. Might run down there and ask if he can tube these tires...

PapawBrett

Quote from: Noemi - Ensenada 20 on Jul 22, 2024, 12:22 PM
Quote from: PapawBrett on Jul 21, 2024, 11:49 AMHave ordered double braided polyester rope to replace Halyards, Sheets and Vane.

Be careful replacing halyards.  You want to make sure whatever you use is very low to no stretch.

The 5/16 line I ordered from Blue Ox is supposedly;
Excellent for Halyards, Flag Poles and Boat Rigging
Resistant to mold, mildew and rot
Very Low Stretch
2600 lb. tensile strength.

I thought that might be overkill, but I don't want equipment problems once I'm out on the water.

Captain Kidd

Quote from: PapawBrett on Jul 22, 2024, 08:18 PMA reminder that used means someone else's junk.
Went to move the boat while mowing, and both 'new' tires were flat.
There is a tire shop in Pageland, SC (about 18 miles from me) that does everything from Tractor Trailer to Lawn Equipment tires. Might run down there and ask if he can tube these tires...

I bought a 40 year old trailer for the boat I recently built. Not sure how old the tires were though the tread was excellent. They were dry-rotted though. Didn't hesitate to replace them both. I've had trailer problems on the road before and it's no fun.

Brian N.

Good advice to set up in the driveway or parking lot. I would suggest having a helper the first couple of times. There are some "tricks" to raising and lowering the mast especially by yourself. It may take you a bit to sort out the lines and how to run them, but very easy once you do it a couple of times. Great advice about power lines - make sure you have a clear path. etrailer has some very good prices on tires and rims. There is a Precision book by Tom Scott available and very informative (tailored for the P18 but relevant). Best of luck to you.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Quote from: PapawBrett on Jul 22, 2024, 08:26 PM
Quote from: Noemi - Ensenada 20 on Jul 22, 2024, 12:22 PM

The 5/16 line I ordered from Blue Ox is supposedly;
Excellent for Halyards, Flag Poles and Boat Rigging
Resistant to mold, mildew and rot
Very Low Stretch
2600 lb. tensile strength.

I thought that might be overkill, but I don't want equipment problems once I'm out on the water.

A good friend of ours says, "A thing worth engineering is worth OVER-engineering."