News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Newcomer

Started by PapawBrett, Jul 21, 2024, 11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pgandw

Quote from: Brian N. on Jul 23, 2024, 12:45 PMGood advice to set up in the driveway or parking lot. I would suggest having a helper the first couple of times. There are some "tricks" to raising and lowering the mast especially by yourself. It may take you a bit to sort out the lines and how to run them, but very easy once you do it a couple of times. Great advice about power lines - make sure you have a clear path. etrailer has some very good prices on tires and rims. There is a Precision book by Tom Scott available and very informative (tailored for the P18 but relevant). Best of luck to you.
The helper is a very good point.  The mast on my Mariner is simple to raise with 2 people - person pulls on the jib halyard (on centerline!) while the primary walks the mast up.  Same for coming down.

But doing it single-handed requires rigging a gin pole and baby stays to keep the mast from breaking stuff as I winch it up.  A lesson learned the hard way.  I have found even if single handed, asking a competent looking person in the crowd to man the jib halyard while I walk the mast up saves 30 min on set up or take-down.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19  Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

Riley Smith

I got deleted! The cat tiptoed right across the keyboard and killed all THAT.
Good on you for on the "new" boat. I am at a loss on rigging suggestions and issues with that particular boat. One suggestions I have is keeping a shackle or two spare and I always keep lashing and rope in a rigging bag. You'll need it sooner or later. Dental floss will double as whipping. And I'm going to make halyards if my wife will ever drive me to get the line. She won't LET me drive. Harrumph!!!!
I think I put in the previous wool gathering how I got underway. Just be aware that there is a process that is basically the same but can be slightly different in some circumstances, in getting the boat under sail. The best plan involves having room to hoist and not getting wrapped up in a sail, lines, and a boom. It can be a dance in a wind but you'll know it when she hits her marks  :D
Riley

Brian N.

Rigging - Please feel free to send me a PM and I'll be glad to send you some general rigging and mast raising suggestions. Too long to describe here. I'm not an expert nor experience on the P15, but glad to help if I can. Can't remember who else on the forum has sailed a P15.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Doug SC

You might want to post some questions to the Precision Forum on this site here.

https://trailersailor.com/forum/index.php?board=8.0

Monroe

A little off topic, but there are many books on small boat sailing that are well worth reading (or re-reading) for any sailor. For me, one of the best for easy reading and covering every topic from practical knowledge to the theory of sailing is "The Glenans Sailing Manual". I used to have 2 copies, but gave them away to beginning sailors I first met on the water. The book also has a very interesting history.

noelH

Similar start to sailing. Never owned a boat until I retired. Actually retired early to sail a boat. Prior to retirement joined the local community sailing organization and learned to sail. Laser, 420's, and Sonar (ballasted monohull). Once certified I asked and they gave me the approval to sail the 420 single-handed. How I more or less developed the skills and confidence to sail single handed.  Light air(F2-3) sailing initially.  Building up to heavier winds.

Approaching the 4000nm mark, season 7 of single handed L. Superior sailing in a small boat (15ft LOA).  Few "interesting" moments. Worst were probably a bare pole knock down or the time shearing a starboard shroud chainplate bolt.  Hint, check all your deck hardware fittings, backing plates, blocks....

One tool I find indispensable is the tiller clutch. Checkout WaveFront. A length of line to tie off your tiller when needed would work. But so much quicker and easier just to flip a lever to lock the position of tiller. 

For safety I wear a harness and have a Kong tether ready to hook in. Lake Superior is usually on the too cold and too lump side to go overboard while sailing single handed. Laser and 420s are easy to right and get back into. Ballasted monohull would be an effort unless able to reach the boarding ladder.  Practice heaving to under controlled conditions and putting in a reef.
Sage S15
 Vela

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Being able to reach the ladder from the water, or having a way to drop it from the water, is a very good idea.  Especially in cold water.

PapawBrett

Quote from: Noemi - Ensenada 20 on Jul 25, 2024, 04:06 PMBeing able to reach the ladder from the water, or having a way to drop it from the water, is a very good idea.  Especially in cold water.

There is a collapsing/ expanding ladder on the stern, off toward the starboard corner. It's there for swimming ...?

noelH

Quote from: PapawBrett on Jul 27, 2024, 01:46 PM
Quote from: Noemi - Ensenada 20 on Jul 25, 2024, 04:06 PMBeing able to reach the ladder from the water, or having a way to drop it from the water, is a very good idea.  Especially in cold water.

There is a collapsing/ expanding ladder on the stern, off toward the starboard corner. It's there for swimming ...?

Vela has a similar set up. More for safety, but allow easier than pulling yourself back into the boat.

Friend of mine years ago while single handed in relatively tame conditions fell overboard at the bow of the boat. Had a tether on, but it about killed him as the boat dragged him at couple knots through the water.  Was eventually able to keep his head above water, but was still in a bad situation. Could not reach the rail. He managed eventually to get to the stern boarding ladder. Auto pilot was a bad thing even if the boat's SOG was slow. Two lessons learned when single hand sailing. Make sure your tether line is short enough to keep you on board. Heave to even under mellow conditions when exiting the cockpit to deal with whatever. Sometimes one becomes a bit complacent with years of experience. Then poo hits the fan.
Sage S15
 Vela