Resuscitating a 1993 Precision 15' CB

Started by PapawBrett, Jul 26, 2024, 08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PapawBrett

Retired, widower and starting into sailing with a 31 year old Precision 15 footer. Seems like everything I look at means more to fix. So far it's all trailer repair. Hopefully within a week I'll have that straightened out and will be up to the boat.
Any suggestions or advice on old PBW 15' would be appreciated, thanks. Papaw

Riggerdood

Welcome Papaw! You've made a great choice for a starter boat. Trailer repair is fairly straightforward, as they all (mostly) use the same parts, just different shapes and sizes. The same can be said for sailboats in many cases. What are you seeing on the boat itself that needs repair?
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

PapawBrett

Quote from: Riggerdood on Jul 26, 2024, 10:11 PMWelcome Papaw! You've made a great choice for a starter boat. Trailer repair is fairly straightforward, as they all (mostly) use the same parts, just different shapes and sizes. The same can be said for sailboats in many cases. What are you seeing on the boat itself that needs repair?

Right now, I have all ready purchased 150' 5/8 Low Stretch Line ( Main Halyard and Sheet, Jib Halyard) and 100' 1/4 Low Stretch ( Jib Sheets and Boom Vang) to replace lines. At first glance the stainless steel Forward Stay and Both Shrouds, along with all of the SS Fixtures, looks to be in good shape.
I will be taking the rudder apart to examine the wood. I have no idea how to examine the centerboard while on the trailer.
When I went to buy this boat, I took cardboard and a flashlight so I could go under the trailer and examine the hull. No holes, abrasions, cracks or rough spots. For $1900 I at least wanted it to float. Also, I asked the Broker to have the mast and sails up when I got there for examination, and he did. The Fiberglass looks clean, no holes/ rips/ repairs to the sails (polyester, not canvas). The aluminum mast and boom appear to be in good condition.
Once I get the trailer straitened out,I'll move the boat from the driveway to the backyard where I'll have overhead space to raise the mast and get into it a little closer.

pgandw

I hope you meant 3/8" line and not 5/8" line for the halyards.  I'm not sure your blocks will take 5/8" line.  Standard rigging specs for the 19ft Mariner:
- halyards:  1/4" line
- sheets:  5/16" line (midboom sheeting, 3/8" line for Crosby rig (main sheet has triangle at transom)
- downhauls and outhauls:  3/16" line
- I have 1/4" line on my 3:1 boom vang, I may need 4:1.  The v-slot with 3:1 kept slipping.  The size of the main on the Mariner and the length of the boom makes the vang critical.  The long boom on the Mariner can easily catch on the backstay during a jibe if the main is not decently vanged.  A great way for an unexpected entry into the water.

I have cam cleats on the main and jib sheets (2), and topping lift.  I just installed cam cleats on boom vang, and Tiller Clutch (2).  The rest are normal cleats -  halyards (2), boom downhaul, clew outhaul, cunningham, tack reef line, clew reef line.  Have not needed a cleat on the jib downhaul, but definitely needed a downhaul.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19  #4133
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

Riggerdood

Quote from: PapawBrett on Jul 27, 2024, 01:41 PMRight now, I have all ready purchased 150' 5/8 Low Stretch Line ( Main Halyard and Sheet, Jib Halyard) and 100' 1/4 Low Stretch ( Jib Sheets and Boom Vang) to replace lines. At first glance the stainless steel Forward Stay and Both Shrouds, along with all of the SS Fixtures, looks to be in good shape.
I will be taking the rudder apart to examine the wood. I have no idea how to examine the centerboard while on the trailer.
When I went to buy this boat, I took cardboard and a flashlight so I could go under the trailer and examine the hull. No holes, abrasions, cracks or rough spots. For $1900 I at least wanted it to float. Also, I asked the Broker to have the mast and sails up when I got there for examination, and he did. The Fiberglass looks clean, no holes/ rips/ repairs to the sails (polyester, not canvas). The aluminum mast and boom appear to be in good condition.
Once I get the trailer straitened out,I'll move the boat from the driveway to the backyard where I'll have overhead space to raise the mast and get into it a little closer.
Sure sounds like she's in great shape overall. For CB inspection, if you have the space in the backyard, you might be able to yard launch and careen the boat to get access. I used to do it with my O'Day Daysailer, easy peasy.

For the standing rigging, you are mainly looking for any sharp kinks or bends in the cable, and any rust/corrosion/broken strands where the end fittings are swaged on, since that is the most common failure point.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

PapawBrett

I'm correcting a misspoken statement....
5/16" double braided polyester, and 1/4" double braided polyester. As required according to the General Specifications listed for the 15' on the Precision Website.
Both Low Stretch, and mild, mildew and rot resistant.
Sorry about the previous post ..