Overnight on the lake and future boats

Started by tjspiel, Aug 26, 2024, 10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjspiel

Apologies for not posting more and missing the happy hours. Very busy summer but at least I've managed to sail a couple of times a week.

I spent the night out the lake on Friday with a couple of others on their Catalina 22. Before anchoring I was sailing with 3 other boats, - all of which I've considered as potential "upgrades" from my P18 since I'm looking for something a little bigger. Won't happen for at least 2 years but it's fun to dream. :)

You cannot view this attachment.

On the left is a Potter 19. You'll notice it's the only one with its jib out. That's because the rest of us furled ours so it could keep up. Very stable boat but relatively small sail area. In the rear is a Rhodes 22. Very well appointed. Furling main which makes the mast heavy but with the lifting system and some practice, it can be done on your own. Takes some time though.

On the right is a Catalina 22. They're everywhere and pretty cheap. That one has the pop top which adds a lot of interior room. Nice size cockpit too. Not really a favorite of mine for various reasons but certainly a good option.

Brian N.

Good to hear from you Tom. Appears to be a lovely evening. A good friend has the Rhodes 22, and it is a great boat, well built, sails great. However, it takes 3 men to raise the mast and rig (in mast furling main plus jib). A gin pole and baby stays are rigged, but the mast is a beast.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Riggerdood

Sounds like fun Tom. Decisions, decisions! My RS22 also has a pop top, and while it does give a bit more headroom over the quarter berths, I wish it extended just a little further forward over the galley. That's not possible though because of where the mast step is. Not really familiar with how the C22's is configured. Some of the earlier O'Day 23's had ones where the mast went through a hole in the pop top and down to a keel step. The pop top slid along the mast as it went up and down.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Quantico Frank

Kind of not really the point of this thread, but the marina at Quantico has just bought three (and counting) brand spanking new Flying Scott 19 day sailors for training and rental which they won't get into the water until next season for lack of instructors. I've had in my mind lately that the way I sail these days, I don't necessarily need a cabin since I bought my Subaru Outback Wilderness, which I have set up for comfortable car camping. I used it that way on my last trip to Norfolk, and it was more comfortable for sleeping than my P165. Not looking to make any changes at this point though, but just ruminating. Still....
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

eaglecreeksailor22

I have just recently purchased a Precision 21. I looked for 1 1/2 yrs for this model due to cabin configuration and weight. I have traveled with a Catalina 22 and granted the pop top with enclosure is nice when over nighting. But the dinnete takes up a lot of space. I am 78 and think this is about all I can handle solo. My boat will not leave the sail club and have a wet slip as well as dry winter storage and a couple nice coves to camp on the water. No more road trips, was fun but father time has his eye on me. The P21 is 1875 lbs empty, 20.75 LOA and 8.25 beam +/-. A big little boat that is not a slug on the water.
Just a suggestion.

Rich

Brian N.

Picking up on Franks post:

We have owned 3 Subaru Outbacks and one Loyal (predates Outback wagon) and totally in love with the car. As far as the Flying Scott is concerned, I've considered trading in my P165 for the Scott (shallow water launch!), but the cabin of the P165 is a big factor. I keep the cabin neat and tidy, but there is a lot of "stuff" in there. When my wife is crew, she likes to escape for 40 winks down below, or read the paper on the companionway step, out of the sun.
Fair winds
Brian N.

tjspiel

Quote from: Quantico Frank on Aug 27, 2024, 05:45 AMKind of not really the point of this thread, but the marina at Quantico has just bought three (and counting) brand spanking new Flying Scott 19 day sailors for training and rental which they won't get into the water until next season for lack of instructors. I've had in my mind lately that the way I sail these days, I don't necessarily need a cabin since I bought my Subaru Outback Wilderness, which I have set up for comfortable car camping. I used it that way on my last trip to Norfolk, and it was more comfortable for sleeping than my P165. Not looking to make any changes at this point though, but just ruminating. Still....

You mean you'd just rent one of the Scotts or would you buy one? You might find the mast more difficult to step but they have large cockpits and are fun to sail. Even though they are pretty stable, you'd probably want some sort of mast head flotation just in case because they aren't displacement boats and are not self righting.

tjspiel

Quote from: eaglecreeksailor22 on Aug 27, 2024, 08:07 AMI have just recently purchased a Precision 21. I looked for 1 1/2 yrs for this model due to cabin configuration and weight. I have traveled with a Catalina 22 and granted the pop top with enclosure is nice when over nighting. But the dinnete takes up a lot of space. I am 78 and think this is about all I can handle solo. My boat will not leave the sail club and have a wet slip as well as dry winter storage and a couple nice coves to camp on the water. No more road trips, was fun but father time has his eye on me. The P21 is 1875 lbs empty, 20.75 LOA and 8.25 beam +/-. A big little boat that is not a slug on the water.
Just a suggestion.

Rich

The P-21 is also a possible upgrade. A downside is that cockpit isn't much bigger than the one on my P-18 and while I do use the cabin, it's really the cockpit that I'd like more space in. Would love to be able to sail comfortably with 4 people in the cockpit. Three is comfortable in the P-18 and you can have a 4th in the companionway but it's not ideal.

The other thing nice about the Catalina 22 is that short people like me can stand up in the cockpit and not worry about getting beaned by the boom.  That might be true on the P-21 too. I'm not sure.

Quantico Frank

Quote from: tjspiel on Aug 27, 2024, 12:30 PMYou mean you'd just rent one of the Scotts or would you buy one? You might find the mast more difficult to step but they have large cockpits and are fun to sail.

Tom, I don't think I would buy one, but I might very well rent one when they start renting just to try something different. In fact, I didn't plan to buy any boat, but to just rent from Quantico when they had American 16s and 18s. I didn't like the Americans much, and they keep you on a tight leash, not allowing you to sail out of sight. That's when I bought the P15CB and now the P165. I might look into maybe a P18 if I ever get serious about making a change.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Riggerdood

My jump from a 17' DS2 to a 22 footer was predicated on the kind of sailing I was doing at the time. The idea was to daysail the Daysailer (duh) on the local lakes, and take the 22 on the overnighters along the FL coasts. Alas, a month later our situation changed dramatically, and the DS stayed in FL while the 22 came with me to CA. Having the 22 in a wet slip was nice for the year that it lasted, and I sailed almost every week during that time, but overnighting on the water was verboten, and the only land camping allowed was in the campground, which kinda defeated the purpose when it was only a 15 minute drive home. Now pretty much all of my sailing trips involve a long drive to the coast, and at least a two night stay at anchor, in a slip, or on a mooring. Do I miss the DS? Of course, but the 22 is perfect for the kind of sailing I get to do now.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Straander

Quote from: tjspiel on Aug 26, 2024, 10:44 AMApologies for not posting more and missing the happy hours. Very busy summer but at least I've managed to sail a couple of times a week.

I spent the night out the lake on Friday with a couple of others on their Catalina 22. Before anchoring I was sailing with 3 other boats, - all of which I've considered as potential "upgrades" from my P18 since I'm looking for something a little bigger. Won't happen for at least 2 years but it's fun to dream. :)

On the left is a Potter 19. You'll notice it's the only one with its jib out. That's because the rest of us furled ours so it could keep up. Very stable boat but relatively small sail area. In the rear is a Rhodes 22. Very well appointed. Furling main which makes the mast heavy but with the lifting system and some practice, it can be done on your own. Takes some time though.

On the right is a Catalina 22. They're everywhere and pretty cheap. That one has the pop top which adds a lot of interior room. Nice size cockpit too. Not really a favorite of mine for various reasons but certainly a good option.

Its been exceedingly rare when I've been out on lake washington and encountered another boat anywhere close to as small as mine, but one of those times was a Potter 19. After sailing around him for a while, I was pretty surprised at how much I had to let the wind out of my sails to avoid overtaking him. Quickly sailed off cause I didnt want to embarrass him.  ;D
Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

tjspiel

Quote from: Straander on Sep 04, 2024, 07:23 PM
Quote from: tjspiel on Aug 26, 2024, 10:44 AMApologies for not posting more and missing the happy hours. Very busy summer but at least I've managed to sail a couple of times a week.

Its been exceedingly rare when I've been out on lake washington and encountered another boat anywhere close to as small as mine, but one of those times was a Potter 19. After sailing around him for a while, I was pretty surprised at how much I had to let the wind out of my sails to avoid overtaking him. Quickly sailed off cause I didnt want to embarrass him.  ;D

:)

They are very capable and seaworthy little boats but speed is one of the compromises. Given how small our lake is that shouldn't bother me, but it does...