Planning a fall sailing trip

Started by Captain Kidd, Aug 27, 2024, 09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Kidd

I have the opportunity to take a nice sailing excursion somewhere this fall between Oct 3-13. After this, I may sell my Hunter.

I've been to P'cola once in 2013 and figure it's a good place. Besides, my grandson just entered college there last week. Will give me a good excuse to bother him.

I know several of you have done BEER and maybe other Pensacola Bay trips, so thought I'd throw out some questions.

On my first trip, we started at Pensacola Shipyard Marina. Stayed there first and last night of the trip, but I'm not sure they offer transient slips anymore. Second night was at a marina in Little Sabine Bay. I don't think it's there anymore. Third night was at Sand Island.

I'm thinking of sailing between Perdido Bay and Navarre for 4-5 days. The Hunter 18.5 drafts 2-1/2'.

First question. Which launching place is best/preferred? (remember I'll be parked for several days) Big Lagoon, Shoreline Park, Mahogany Mill, somewhere else better?

Second question. Access to Pirate's Cove, Quiet Water Beach, Juana's Pagoda. Anchor in knee deep water and walk in? Can you use QWB pier for lunch/supper? etc.

Third: anchorages/marinas. I understand weather has a bearing on choice. How about Tarkiln Bay (little bay off Perdido Bay)? Quiet Water? Big Sabine? Navarre? Other favorites? I've read about Dead Man's Island, weather permitting. I might try to start from Chico Bayou. There are several marinas there near the bridge and entrance. Any marinas you've ducked into for a night?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

(pic Anago anchored toward the SW end of Sand Island 2013)

You cannot view this attachment.

Wayne Howard

Pensacola Shipyard is definitely out. The last I heard, you can't use the boat ramp anymore. They've gone completely powerboat.

I heard that a lot of the BEER crowd used the Big Lagoon State Park ramp for the weekend. I haven't been there myself so....

Mahogany Mills has decent parking on weekdays but fills up on weekends quickly. I don't know if they have any security so lock up and hide your goodies.

Little Sabine actually has deep water all the way around the edges and extremely shallow in the middle.

I know someone who takes his 4' draft 37 footer behind Dead Man's Island so you shouldn't have any problems there.

The land across the water from Pirate's Cove has been developed and the new houses have docks. I haven't been there yet to see if you can still anchor out but it's now more crowded.

Juana's Pagoda: Sail all the way to the bridge and turn to starboard. It has a marked channel now. Anchor out near shore as the water gets deep fairly quickly.

Yes, you can anchor out a Quietwater for lunch then I would go over to Little Sabine for the night. An east wind at QW means a rough night at anchor.

Sand Island is still well protected from every where but west and still deep nearly to shore. Shouldn't be crowded during your time.
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Krusen

This old guy is envious of the ability to do such sailing, but in a good way. :)

Many great memories of our pre Covid adventure, capable vessel, and pleasant company in absolutely spectacular surroundings.

One question, have you put waterproof tape on the joint between the hull and the wing keel?  That was a major annoyance after the soft grounding, and much harder to deal with solo, and not the best way to impress your grandson if he overnights with you.

The very best wishes for arranging some time with your grandson, good weather, and 3 feet of water everywhere you need it.

KRUSE'N, but the anchor is set solid.

Wolverine

We launched from Mahogany Mills at this year's FL120. I found it to be a nice ramp and well protected from the winds.
1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Wolverine on Aug 28, 2024, 10:13 AMWe launched from Mahogany Mills at this year's FL120. I found it to be a nice ramp and well protected from the winds.

I'm assuming that means overnight parking is allowed?

I guess you felt reasonably safe leaving your tow vehicle there?

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Krusen on Aug 28, 2024, 07:58 AMThis old guy is envious of the ability to do such sailing, but in a good way. :)

Many great memories of our pre Covid adventure, capable vessel, and pleasant company in absolutely spectacular surroundings.

One question, have you put waterproof tape on the joint between the hull and the wing keel?  That was a major annoyance after the soft grounding, and much harder to deal with solo, and not the best way to impress your grandson if he overnights with you.

The very best wishes for arranging some time with your grandson, good weather, and 3 feet of water everywhere you need it.

KRUSE'N, but the anchor is set solid.

I thought about doing that trip again; it was so enjoyable and beautiful. Then again I thought about sailing somewhere I've never been before. Ummmm? Pensacola is such a great place to sail and with my grandson there now, it beckons.

I do plan on looking at that joint. Would love to stay dry on this trip.

Great memories indeed, Norman. Take care and enjoy your days!!

Wolverine

Quote from: Captain Kidd on Aug 28, 2024, 03:29 PM
Quote from: Wolverine on Aug 28, 2024, 10:13 AMWe launched from Mahogany Mills at this year's FL120. I found it to be a nice ramp and well protected from the winds.

I'm assuming that means overnight parking is allowed?

I guess you felt reasonably safe leaving your tow vehicle there?

Both my friend and I left our vehicles and trailers there without incident. Beware of the low power lines on the west end of the  parking lot. They run along the road.
1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

Riley Smith

I've used Big Lagoon State Park several times. It's a good ramp and probably about as secure as you're going to get. There is a nominal fee. It is not accessible during the night hours. One thing I did like was you have to file a float plan with the park beforehand. so if you are missing someone will know.
Riley

rfrance0718

Looks like a great place to cruise. I've raced at Pensacola and Fort Walton Beach, and I've stayed at Panama City and driven east to Port St Joe. I can't offer any knowledge but it always intrigued me as a cruising ground. I just downloaded the area on Navionics and I'm starting to have a look see. Have some fun!