News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Mainsail Cover

Started by JimInVA, Sep 02, 2024, 10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimInVA

My old mainsail cover is pretty tattered. After much searching online, I bit the bullet and handed over $399 at West Marine. It's a solidly built blue Sunbrella cover that looks like it will fit my P23 boom nicely.
When I got it home, I pulled it out of the box in my living room and attempted to figure out the "lace up" system to secure it to the mast and boom. It looks like it will be a cumbersome pain in the stern to thread a 20' line through a bunch of grommets each time I put it over my flaked sail and just as bad, but in reverse to remove it. My cat enjoyed the process more than I did!
Back on line, I saw several other options that don't involve a lot of lacing. Sailrite has a cool looking kit, but I am not looking for another project right now. SailboatOwners.com has some custom ones, but they approach $600. I am looking at one now from Salt City Canvas. Looks good in the photos. Zippered at the mast, twist locks on the bottom along the boom and a tie system at the top of the mast. Sunbrella. About $259.
Have any of you folks used this company?
Jim

davepowell

Try Precision. Although they no longer make boats they do have a parts inventory. The one that came with my old P23 had a zipper and Velcro on the mast.

Quantico Frank

Jim, check these guys out: https://mastheadsailinggear.com/. I've done business with them several times for my Precisions, and their customer service is excellent. When you talk with them, be very specific about what you want.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River