Potter Yachters Morro Bay Sail

Started by Phil, May 15, 2023, 05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

Pete asked me get RSVPs so they know how many to expect. Here's his announcement from the newsletter:

It's time to head south! Join me in Morro Bay! Launch on Friday, May 19th or Saturday, May 20th. Our illustrious Commodore sent a letter to the Morro Bay Yacht Club and secured their 170' guest dock for Fri thru Sun.
      My contact information is correct in the latest Membership Roster, so bring that with you in case you need to contact me.
If anyone has any problems on the way down, call me and you can come to my house in San Luis Obispo for repairs at my modest shop and stay here, if needed. I am about 12 miles from Morro Bay on Hwy 101. (And in case the day is a wreck, all can come to my shack for revised options! I'm on a casual street that could support many cars with trailers.)
The boat ramp launch & parking fee is $10 cash (or more with credit card). The yacht club is about 1⁄2 mile north.
It should be noted that conditions outside the harbor may not be suitable, so we'll keep a weather eye and play it by ear.
The yacht club's website indicates that the bar is open on Friday evening from 6-7:30. There are also other restaurants within walking distance of the yacht club. See you there!

Please RSVP by replying here or emailing directly to Pete.
Thanks!

Pete

Hi all.
We have just been informed there is an Iron Man event this Sat in Morro Bay. For those coming Friday no problem. Latest news but might change:If you are coming Sat try to arrive no earlier than 10 am since the area will be heavily impacted by visitors and traffic due to the special event. There are three access roads to the Embarcadero which takes you to the launch ramp at the south end. Take the southernmost access road (Marina) to the Embarcadero to avoid the worst conditions. 
I will post any other news about all this as soon as I hear. Here is some info, good luck trying to make any sense of the iron man info.
https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachments/document/5953-2949367/2023_70.3_Morro_Bay_Traffic_Impact.pdf
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3603702,-120.8613779,15z

I would like to have a feel for who is coming so drop me an e to let me know.
Pete  riki77@gmail.com

Pete

I am just informed by the MB Chief of Police that there are no issues launching Fri or Sat.
For those coming from the north I advise coming to SLO and then taking Hiway 1 to Morro Bay. The seemingly shortcut from Atascadero on Hiway 41 to Morro Bay is sort of a drag and there might be delays at various points on Sat near Morro Bay.
More info will be posted as it is gathered.
Happy sails,
Pete

Pete

The MB Yacht Club has a Friday night happy hour at 6 with good food. The bar and restaurant are closed on Sat so we will raid the town for rations then.

Pete