News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Mainsail containment

Started by Riggerdood, May 18, 2023, 12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riggerdood

Quote from: DBthal on May 19, 2023, 04:30 PMYou cannot view this attachment.
Sailor that formerly used the "Bungie Balls of Death".

8)

Yep, it's all fun and games until somebody gets an eye put out! ;~P
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Riggerdood

Quote from: talbot on May 19, 2023, 06:15 PMI've seen versions of this before, and it looks like a good system in itself. In my case, I'm a little concerned about how loaded my boom is getting. I now have upper and lower jiffy-reef tackle, plus the usual sheet, vang, outhaul, and topping lift. All of those are essential, and now I'm considering adding lazy jacks for containing the sail after a drop. My boom is already much more complicated than the El Toro dinghys I learned to sail on.

I agree with the member who said the most time consuming thing is flaking the sail in the first place. And that the key to both ties and bungee balls is a pair of cargo pants or other garment that has pockets big enough for you to "wear" the ties.
Great to see you at Happy Hour Talbot!

Yes, booms can get very "busy" for sure. This system really is "non-intrusive". On Rum Line, it works it's way around the BoomKicker bracket, vang attachment, and everything else on the underside of the boom.

I would definitely have lazy jacks and a stack pack by now if I were still in a slip. I've actually been kicking around some ideas for stack pack that would work without lazy jacks, and be more convenient for the trailer sailor. Also, again, this system is meant to be a way to quickly contain the main on the boom until at the dock/slip/mooring/anchor, where the neat flaking can be done.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand