News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Backing to a trailer

Started by Norm L., Feb 20, 2023, 01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zig Zag

Like "ALL" the ideas and especially the orange cones also help on hwy breakdown. Hooking up I'm always on concrete and drag / roll my trailer to my truck it's fairly easy 15 ft catboat 1000 lbs (ish).   

"Go ahead --- Leave me on the dock --- See if I care"

GlenG

I have used the magnet & flag for years.  it's still helpful for the initial approach from a distance.  I can see it real-life without the mirror-image effect of the back up camera.  The camera is still good for the last foot or so.
Spousal/kids hand gestures or verbal guides would make for a funny U-Tube bit.  Why can't they understand the simple "hands apart and move together to show final distance" procedure?  Why can't they stand where you can see them?  But I love them dearly, so be it.
Jetski trailer is a real bear to back up empty.  Can't see it. I mounted a spring-loaded fiberglass whip & flag to the center rear frame.  I bend and tuck it under the ski rail for travel.
I love to stop by the local ramp on a Sunday evening to watch husband/wife teams retrieve the family boat after a long day in the sun, and maybe they had a bit of alcohol too.  Comedy at its best.  Boating entertainment comes in many forms.
Summary of my life in one sentence...
It seemed like a good idea at the time !

Wayne Howard

The best (or worst depending on your point of view) boat ramp follies usually occurs right after the 4th of July fireworks display. We saw a wife back the trailer down the ramp correctly but her husband managed to get the boat on the trailer sideways three times and cussing her for parking the trailer wrong.
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

pgandw

Quote from: LakeShark on Mar 30, 2023, 04:33 PMI use some magnets with telescoping foam balls on the end.  seems to work pretty well for me.  Particularly when reconnecting to the trailer with the extension deployed.
I used these (still have them) until the new tow vehicles came with the backup cameras where I can see both the trailer tongue and the hitch ball.  Although the alarms are annoying, the backup camera makes lineup really easy.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner #4133  Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

noelH

'17 stripped, base level "work" truck.  Only way I could afford a 4x4 truck with an eight foot box. I pay cash for vehicles.  Maybe just me. Never made sense to finance something that depreciates so fast.  With a topper on the truck and multiple heavy tinted and dusty rear facing windows I see zilch through them. At least I don't have to flip the rearview mirror to nighttime driving mode.   Without the cheapo low resolution, very wide angle backup camera I would have a difficult time attaching any trailer.  Even with the camera it sometimes requires muscling the last couple centimeters.   

Friend with an older no backup camera truck with a topper and similar viewing issues that I have and a much larger boat(no trailer muscling) has issues.  Two person operation or lots of back and forth even with his aid.  A fiberglass rod attached to the trailer tongue.  Another good reason for a real trailer sailboat.

Sage S15
 Vela

noelH

Quote from: pgandw on Jun 17, 2023, 11:23 AM
Quote from: LakeShark on Mar 30, 2023, 04:33 PMI use some magnets with telescoping foam balls on the end.  seems to work pretty well for me.  Particularly when reconnecting to the trailer with the extension deployed.
I used these (still have them) until the new tow vehicles came with the backup cameras where I can see both the trailer tongue and the hitch ball.  Although the alarms are annoying, the backup camera makes lineup really easy.

Anyway to deactivate the collision warning alarms?  Last service visit to the auto dealer I was watching a sales person drive into the show room a new vehicle that barely fit through the door.  It stopped itself.  That would be annoying.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner #4133  Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC
Sage S15
 Vela