News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Motor Suggestions?

Started by Slip 15, Jul 08, 2023, 04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slip 15

My husband and I bought our first Sailboat yesterday, A Potter 15! We are brand new sailors and need some advice on choosing the right size and type of motor. We live in WA which requires a 4 stroke model.
We will be sailing in fresh waters primarily. Any advice?   

Potter1994

Hello, I also live in Wash. I own a potter 19. However I have had a few conversations with some P14 owners. It seems the the most popular has been a 2hp. It's light,very easy on fuel and should be plenty of power to be used on fresh water. One owner did have a 4hp but he had that because it was used primarily in salt water and because of the tides he felt a little more comfortable with the extra power. Congratulations on the P14, you're starting with a great boat.

Riley Smith

I'm not sure where the Potter mount is, but most sailboats use a long shaft outboard. You need to make sure. So there's that. A 2 hp ought to be plenty. I had a 3.5 hp in a reasonably similar sized boat and never got much over an idle with it. You're limited to hull speed in many type sailboats, which is maybe 6-7 knots (I'm guessing here), and once you reach that limit, no matter how much power you add, the result is no longer linear and your extra power is just a waste. Congrats on the boat!
Riley

Dave Scobie

Honda 2.3HP with a standard , 15", shaft.  Anything with more horsepower isn't needed.

Doug SC

Honda 4 stroke 2.3 HP BF2D air cooled outboard. The BF2D allows the motor to rotate so you can go in reverse. The BF2 does not. Air cooled means you don't have to worry about a clogged water pump or regular replacement of the rubber impeller. There are instructions for doing a 10-hour break-in that you should follow. They cost about $1,100.

Riley Smith

Doug, I have been looking at those but haven't pulled the trigger. Would you recommend? And yes, brackish & saltwater use. I'd need a long shaft though. Still haven't decided on the replacement for the 2-stroke Nissan (Tohatsu).) I think Imma run a test with a kayak paddle today  ;D
Riley

Doug SC

I have also been eyeing them for a while. Haven't pulled the trigger yet. Nor have personal experience with one. Yet quite a few small boat owners use them and seem pleased. I just missed a used one with less than 30 hours for $275.Another person answered the add just before I did. However, a new one has the advantage of knowing how it's being used. There are lots of YouTube videos. Here are 3 if you are interested

If you want to see it running and a review start this video at 8:30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQuNqM8A4wM

If you want to see a carburetor cleaned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QLqHcxGsOg

Routine maintenace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOPYCLI-GOA

pgandw

3 days ago, I bit the bullet and ponied up $2500 for a Spirit 1.0+ by EPropulsion.  It's the equivalent of a 3hp gas outboard.  The electric outboards have everything going for them but range.  If you can live with the range limitations, the electric outboard offers a lot more - quiet, no vibration, lighter weight, turn on the switch to start.

I bit the bullet because I can't depend on my Honda 5hp to start on the 1st or 2nd pull.  It's that simple.  I found I didn't use my 19ft Mariner as often as I would like because I couldn't depend on the motor to get me home in a reasonable time if the wind died.  The motor had had the carb professionally cleaned, and worked well for 3-4 months after that.  Then quit starting again.  When running, the Honda would go all day (8 hrs, at least 30 miles) on a 3 gal tank of gas.  The Spirit + will run 2.5 hrs at 1/2 throttle, so probably 12+ miles range.

I really hated spending nearly the cost of the boat on a motor, but realized that was the only way I really going to use the boat.

Given the relative pricing, 4 stroke gas outboards without external tanks just don't make sense anymore to me.  By having only a small internal tank (1 hr run time), you give up the big advantage of the gas outboard.

I'll report more as I gain actual experience with the electric outboard.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19 #4133  Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

rfrance0718

I would avoid the Tohatsu, Mercury, Nissan 3.5 hp 4 stroke. My brother had one and a friend does as well. They just don't run right. I think it's the tiny jets that simply clog too easily. It's a shame, because the Tohatsu/ Mercury/ Nissan 4/5/6 hps are fantasic. I have 2 6 hps and they never fail.

Captain Kidd

Quote from: pgandw on Jul 09, 2023, 05:22 PM3 days ago, I bit the bullet and ponied up $2500 for a Spirit 1.0+ by EPropulsion.  It's the equivalent of a 3hp gas outboard.  The electric outboards have everything going for them but range.  If you can live with the range limitations, the electric outboard offers a lot more - quiet, no vibration, lighter weight, turn on the switch to start.

I bit the bullet because I can't depend on my Honda 5hp to start on the 1st or 2nd pull.  It's that simple.  I found I didn't use my 19ft Mariner as often as I would like because I couldn't depend on the motor to get me home in a reasonable time if the wind died.  The motor had had the carb professionally cleaned, and worked well for 3-4 months after that.  Then quit starting again.  When running, the Honda would go all day (8 hrs, at least 30 miles) on a 3 gal tank of gas.  The Spirit + will run 2.5 hrs at 1/2 throttle, so probably 12+ miles range.

I really hated spending nearly the cost of the boat on a motor, but realized that was the only way I really going to use the boat.

Given the relative pricing, 4 stroke gas outboards without external tanks just don't make sense anymore to me.  By having only a small internal tank (1 hr run time), you give up the big advantage of the gas outboard.

I'll report more as I gain actual experience with the electric outboard.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19 #4133  Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

There's a guy with a Welsford Walkabout who posts on several forums who uses an electric motor. He has set up solar panels and can run the motor all day if the sun is out. If interested, I'll try to find some links for you.

Captain Kidd

Looks like several of us are in the same situation. I'm pondering the purchase of a motor for my Hunter. I crushed my Yamaha 4hp. I just about bought a Tohatsu 3.5 the other day but "free shipping" turned into $245! After the above comments on the smaller motors, maybe it's good I didn't.

You guys keep talking and maybe I can make a good decision.

rfrance0718

I'm glad you passed. Both my brother's and my friend's did the same thing. They would start and idle just fine but would stall when you applied some throttle. I took the carb apart several times and even bought a rebuild kit. When I got on line I found many who had the exact same issue. My brother took his to a dealer and they couldn't fix it! They ended up trading him for an older Mercury 6 (Tohatsu). My brother bought a new to him boat with a 9.9 Honda. He gave me the Merc which I'm using now. I also have a Tohatsu that I dropped on the ground. I broke the casting and the cowling hqas to be tied down but it still runs fine.

Dave Scobie

I maintained a fleet of Honda 2/2.3 motors when I ran Sage Marine and I've also owned the motor when had a Montgomery 15.

Never had issues with the motors.  Started on second or third pull when cold.  Almost always on first pull when warmed.

#1 issue is running an outboard often, ALWAYS do this through the winter, and using fresh gas (ethenol, E10, is fine).  Any gas older than a month needs to be transferred to the tow vehicle lawn devices.

More discussion here - https://m17-375.com/2019/04/04/outboard-motors-fuel-issues/

noelH

6th season using a Torqeedo 1003 Travel without any motor issues.  Have had an issue with the lever that holds the position in the kicked up position.  The newer direct drive Travel of similar h.p. has a redesigned and looks like more robust "lever".  L. Superior tends to be choppy to large swells.  The lever could not withstand the load of the pounding. Maintenance. None.  On paper Torqeedo notes 5yr/700 hrs the motor pylon seals need replacement. 

I rarely motor.  Just need to motor in and out of the marina (marina reg.)  Battery is still very healthy. But I have the equivalent ~100 full discharges and have never run below ~45% capacity.   Large up front cost.  Since then outside of a replacement kickup lever zero dollars + few kilowatts to charge the battery.

If needing a motor for minimal use the Torqeedo or E-Propulsion are overall good values and reliable.

No shift into neutral or rotate the motor 180 degree for reverse. Just a  second or two lag when twisting the throttle from forward to reverse.  The torque generated from the combination of propeller design and electric motor is significant.  Overall the thrust seems similar to the spec equivalent of an ICE, but thrust is available almost instantaneously at low motor speeds.
Sage S15
 Vela

Riley Smith

The old 3.5 TWO STROKE was a great motor for a long time. Previously, I'd used a trolling motor on my small boat, and no doubt learned to sail better with it's lack of range. But the gas motor opened up many more miles when the conditions didn't favor sailing. And beating into the wind isn't my favorite thing to do in my boat. It has better attributes for other points of sail.
Oh, don't think I don't know how to go upwind, because, chosing from a PLETHORA of ramps here always gave me the option of a downwind/down current to the ramp. In case the wind AND the electric turned armadillo and went belly up.
So, I'd therefore be inclined to just strap a gas burner on for what small amount of motoring I do. I'm tired of working on this thing! I'm severely weight limited too, so the choice is a hard one to match capability to minimal weight and complexity and have it work with the long boom and gaff of the catboat.
Riley