News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Hello! Advice?

Started by Biosci777, Sep 03, 2023, 09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biosci777

Hello, I am trying to get back into sailing after being away for quite a while to raise a family.  I never was a strong sailor, and anything I get must be trailer-sailed, since I am not near any large bodies of water, other than the mighty Missip'.  I'm also on a shoestring budget.
Boats I am considering right now are a Catalina 22 (great all-rounder, but I am concerned it may be difficult for me to set up and sail single-handed), a Hunter 216, and a Santana 2023A (never heard of it before, but I think I'm in love...).
I would greatly appreciate advice and opinions, especially if you have sailed one of these.  I believe I can get into one of these boats for just under $1k. Thanks in advance!  8)

Captain Kidd

I'd be very surprised if you could get into either of those for under $1k in any kind of usable condition with a decent trailer. If you can, go for it. You can single hand all of them I would think. I'm no pro and I've single handed boats very similar to these including setup, launch and retrieval.

Biosci777

Thanks for the reply, Captain.  The Catalina is $950 complete; I'll be looking at it tomorrow. In the pics, it's dirty, but looks okay otherwise.  The Hunter is up for auction and likely to go cheap since the thermo plastic on the cabin is cracked and it needs sails.  The Santana has no title in a state that requires one (my state doesn't) and they are asking $600.  And it needs sails also.  Yes, I realize sails can push me way over that $1k mark, but I'm hoping to track down used ones.
I admire the captains out there who "do it right", but I do what I can.

Spot

Biosci777, where on the Mississippi? Up in WI/MN Pepin is a great spot to sail.

I built an 8' boat, then bought a 21' fixer-upper that has kept me away from the water more than it has taken me to it. Currently sailing a Sunfish, the second one I bought as first was waterlogged. Would probably get a Capri 14.2 or a 17' with a small cuddy, trading a few more $ for less fixer-upper time, if I could do it all over with some hindsight. My 21' takes about an hour to rig/launch and an hour to retrieve/de-rig. The Sunfish takes 10 minutes. I do understand when a boat's lines pull on you, that's how I came home with the 21. My 2 cents, feel free to keep the change... :)
Big dreams, small boats...

Captain Kidd

I'm definitely in your corner. I'm a budget guy too!

Sounds like you have a couple good leads. How about motors?

BTW: Spot is right. These boats will take 30-60 minutes each way. The rule of thumb is: the smaller the boat the more you sail. I have two boats. Smaller one gets wet far more than the bigger one.

Biosci777

Good evening Spot, I am quite a bit farther south, in the state of Mississippi.  The nearby oxbow lakes are where I'll likely sail, though there's a good-size dam lake near Jackson.
Your point about a fixer-upper is well taken.  I have some doubts as well -- that's why I am considering the Catalina, assuming it doesn't need major work.  Just curious, what make is your 21'?

Biosci777

Quote from: Captain Kidd on Sep 03, 2023, 10:44 PMI'm definitely in your corner. I'm a budget guy too!

Sounds like you have a couple good leads. How about motors?

I usually get by with a strong trolling motor to get me out where I can hoist the sails.  If I were to go any real distance in a boat, I think I would want something more, though.

Spot

Quote from: Biosci777 on Sep 03, 2023, 10:47 PMJust curious, what make is your 21'?

It's a Luger Southwind 21, link is to a long thread on another forum:

Spot's Luger Southwind 21 on CF

The Catalina would most likely be the easiest for peer and factory support,  one of the members here svlakeshark is an officer in the C22 group up here and they have even offered to sail with the likes of me.
Big dreams, small boats...

Riley Smith

Hello from another Mississippian....well sorta, cause I live on the coast and most of us are considered outcasts :) Up there you can't tell if the tide is rising and falling, and there's just one way and that's South, with the river. We used to fish Thompson Lake in V'burg a long time ago when I lived in Bovina. Anyway, I'd just like to warn you of that set-up time already alluded to. Bigger is more complicated and takes more time. I have saved man-days over a long time because of the ease I can do it.
And then there is the use. Overnight? Docked or trailer? Power and sewage? There are lots of factors. Performance is less an issue than all the above, because all of them will get you there. However one that is meant for extended occupation is different from a racer. Anyway, good luck on the boat but tread lightly. Every single one of us knows that Siren call :)
Riley

Frank B.

Another Mississippian who has lived both on the Coast and bumping the TN border.  Not sure exactly where you are but there are plenty of decent sailing lakes in the North half.  You mentioned the reservoir, but there is also Sardis, Grenada, Bay Springs Lake (my home port), Pickwick lake and up to the TN river.  But truth said, you will find the best sailing if you trailer to the Coast.  Winds much more reliable with National seashore barrier islands to sail to.

Your budget limits your options, but I would go for the boat that is the easiest to set up to sail and to tow.  Believe me, if it is difficult and time consuming, you will end up not doing it. I towed extensively for the first couple of years, then after that, at a marina at Bay Springs Lake, only coming home for maintenance every three years. The lake is nice, probably the best in the state because of no shoreside development, but that wasn't the plan.

Norm L.

Having owned two turnkeys and two fixer uppers You had better enjoy fixing as much or more than sailing if you but one that needs work. There have been some here that really do like bringing a boat back to life.

As i have taught in my class, with yachts it is not unheard of for someone to buy a worn boat for 1 bag of coins, put in between material and labor 3 bags of coins, and eventually selling it for 2 bags of coins.

And the statement "thermo plastic cracked" scares me bout that boat.

But keep up the hunt and look at as many as you can. There will be one that fits your needs. Now that we are coming up to the end of season in the frozen Nawth, boats will start appearing on good sites like here and Sailing Texas.

Biosci777

Quote from: Frank B. on Sep 04, 2023, 10:52 AMAnother Mississippian who has lived both on the Coast and bumping the TN border.  Not sure exactly where you are but there are plenty of decent sailing lakes in the North half.  You mentioned the reservoir, but there is also Sardis, Grenada, Bay Springs Lake (my home port), Pickwick lake and up to the TN river.  But truth said, you will find the best sailing if you trailer to the Coast.  Winds much more reliable with National seashore barrier islands to sail to.

Your budget limits your options, but I would go for the boat that is the easiest to set up to sail and to tow.  Believe me, if it is difficult and time consuming, you will end up not doing it. I towed extensively for the first couple of years, then after that, at a marina at Bay Springs Lake, only coming home for maintenance every three years. The lake is nice, probably the best in the state because of no shoreside development, but that wasn't the plan.

I am in Greenville, in the Delta, spitting distance from the river, but a good ways from decent sized lakes, though I suppose Grenada isn't any farther than the reservoir.  I agree the coast makes for fun sailing; I am from Florida originally, where the coast is never more than a couple hours away, and lakes are even closer!
Ease of towing and setup are certainly crucial.  That's one reason I wasn't excited about the Catalina, which I've always thought was a bit more boat than I want or need.  Owners of the Hunter and Santana both seem to claim setup of their boats is easy, though I would expect a smaller boat (say, 16') would be significantly easier than both of them.

Biosci777

Quote from: Norm L. on Sep 04, 2023, 01:17 PMHaving owned two turnkeys and two fixer uppers You had better enjoy fixing as much or more than sailing if you but one that needs work. There have been some here that really do like bringing a boat back to life.

As i have taught in my class, with yachts it is not unheard of for someone to buy a worn boat for 1 bag of coins, put in between material and labor 3 bags of coins, and eventually selling it for 2 bags of coins.

And the statement "thermo plastic cracked" scares me bout that boat.

But keep up the hunt and look at as many as you can. There will be one that fits your needs. Now that we are coming up to the end of season in the frozen Nawth, boats will start appearing on good sites like here and Sailing Texas.

Yeah, that statement about the cracks scares most people.  Then the Hunter owners shrug and say, "yeah, they do that. Here's how I fixed mine."  Maybe they just don't want to admit what so many people say about Hunters...

I love to browse Sailing Texas -- such an amazing variety, and an extensive gallery.  I've used it many times to identify boats the seller wasn't sure about.

Brian N.

Biosci - The boats that you have in mind are all good boats, but check out any prospects very carefully for hull integrity. Lines, rigging and blocks may need replacing; sails can be hundreds of $$ to thousands $$$$ so factor that in as well. A "dirty" boat may be a neglected boat, and I would shy away. Cracks in the Hunter are a known problem, and Hunter abandoned that construction. An observation about set up: I'm 66 YO and have a Precision 165 which is smaller than what you are considering. Set up and launch takes about 45 minutes when I'm alone. The mast and rigging on the 16.5 foot Precision is a lot lighter and easier than on a 20 foot boat (personal experience). So what I am saying is factor in your age, physical condition, and time at the ramp. Some boats are more difficult to set up than others and may require winches, poles, guys aside from the usual mast crutch. Good luck to you.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Brian N. on Sep 04, 2023, 11:13 PMBiosci - The boats that you have in mind are all good boats, but check out any prospects very carefully for hull integrity. Lines, rigging and blocks may need replacing; sails can be hundreds of $$ to thousands $$$$ so factor that in as well........... I'm 66 YO and have a Precision 165 which is smaller than what you are considering. Set up and launch takes about 45 minutes when I'm alone. The mast and rigging on the 16.5 foot Precision is a lot lighter and easier than on a 20 foot boat (personal experience). So what I am saying is factor in your age, physical condition, and time at the ramp. Some boats are more difficult to set up than others and may require winches, poles, guys aside from the usual mast crutch. Good luck to you.

To save money I made my own sails from Sailrite kits. I've also bought used sails on EBay.

Regarding mast raising, I needed poles and mechanical advantage on my Macgregor 26 and Kells 23. On my Hunter 18.5 I can raise it from the cabin top without aides.