Nice weekend of Fall Sailing

Started by tjspiel, Sep 18, 2023, 09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjspiel

Got out on my boat Saturday and then volunteered to skipper yesterday for the last "Free Sailing Sunday" of the year.

A friend got a shot of me on one of the Ensigns. They're a nice boat for this because 6 will fit in the cockpit easily and they can handle most any weather you'd seen on a small inland lake.

You cannot view this attachment.

Ross

JimInVA

Hey Tom,
Lucky man! Got to sail both days!
I only got out on Saturday for about three hours with both sons. Shouldn't complain too much though. I also was out for five hours last Monday too.
Photo is my youngest hanging out on the companionway hatch. Other son was on the helm. We were trying to make our way up river past Colonial Beach. Favorable NW winds at 5-7 Kts with occasional gusts to 11 or so. Both boys got a lot of tiller time. Neither have much sailing experience so just trying to get them comfortable with some heeling and not over correcting for gusts and wind shifts. I realized pretty early that it's best for me to just say nothing and let them feel it out for themselves. No one enjoys being a voice activated autopilot. Both seemed to have a good time.
Hoping for a lot of sailing in October. Gotta catch up with all you guys who got your boats in earlier than me 🤠.
Jim

tjspiel

Quote from: JimInVA on Sep 18, 2023, 02:16 PMI only got out on Saturday for about three hours with both sons.

Sailing with your kids is the best. It's fun bringing new people out too but I would trade that for having my kids sail with me more often.

Being mostly an introvert, trying to be conversational and charming with a new group every 30 to 40 minutes for 5 hours is a stretch. :)

You definitely have time to catch up to me. I'm down to less than 3 weeks before the boat comes out of the water.  I usually sail about twice a week so that's only 1/2 dozen outings left this season.

Macsp21

Pearson ensign 22 built in the sixties ,,,the gold standard

tjspiel

Quote from: Macsp21 on Sep 18, 2023, 07:07 PMPearson ensign 22 built in the sixties ,,,the gold standard
I guess for about 40,000 you can order a new one 🙂

Riggerdood

1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand