News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Backing to a trailer

Started by Norm L., Feb 20, 2023, 01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm L.

While walking the dogs through the neighborhood a saw a box trailer up in a driveway.
The owner put a tall traffic cone over the trailer tongue hand crank.

I thought it was a clever way to be able to see alignment and distance and have a traffic cone with you for any breakdown or other need for warning.

Doug SC

Riley Smith

And I happen to have a cone!
Riley

CapnK

Beldar approves...  ;D

You cannot view this attachment.

LakeShark

I use some magnets with telescoping foam balls on the end.  seems to work pretty well for me.  Particularly when reconnecting to the trailer with the extension deployed. 

"If anythings gonna happen, its gonna happen out there" Capt. Ron Rico

Riggerdood

On my Ford Edge, I can see the hitch ball on the backup camera, which helps a lot. When it's getting close, I can also zoom it in for fine tuning the dock.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Captain Kidd

Quote from: LakeShark on Mar 30, 2023, 04:33 PMI use some magnets with telescoping foam balls on the end.  seems to work pretty well for me.  Particularly when reconnecting to the trailer with the extension deployed. 

Not sure I can envision this. Can you elaborate? Maybe a picture? Usually takes me 4-6x hopping in and out of the suv to get her lined up.

Wayne Howard

Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Charles Brennan

I now use a backup camera on my GPS, but for years I had a big truck mirror bolted to the trailer's mast support and aimed at the hitch ball. Mirror cost about 8 bucks IIRC.
Tapped a ¼-20 hole on trailer mast support and screwed it in.

Pros:
Cheap.
Doesn't need batteries.
No electronics to fail.

Cons:
Hard to see at night.

Hope this helps,
Charles Brennan

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Charles Brennan on Apr 03, 2023, 09:06 PMI now use a backup camera on my GPS, but for years I had a big truck mirror bolted to the trailer's mast support and aimed at the hitch ball. Mirror cost about 8 bucks IIRC.
Tapped a ¼-20 hole on trailer mast support and screwed it in.

Hope this helps,
Charles Brennan

Obviously more than one way to skin a cat.

Bo, NIS26

Thanks to those who got this forum back up and running.

I back up to the trailer using the license plate method: I can hear it crunch when the tongue is over the ball.  This might seem crude but it is better than the spousal hand gesture method. :)

-Bo

Doug SC

I love the backup camera on our tow vehicle. We are living in the future. :o  ;D

Frank B.

Quote from: Captain Kidd on Apr 03, 2023, 12:07 PM
Quote from: Wayne Howard on Apr 02, 2023, 06:06 PMhttps://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Magnetic-Telescoping-Trailer-Hitch-Alignment-Kit-Balls-RV-Boat-Utility-Trailer/706674746

Here ya go, Captain Kidd

Thanks for the link! Looks very useful!

I use the same thing, then stick them on the fenders of my skiff trailer so I can back it down the ramp.  With the boat off I can't see the trailer to correct. I have a backup camera but often the sun angle on the screen negates its usefulness.

Riley Smith

That's one thing about the larger diameter tires nowadays....I can't SEE any of that stuff on my small trailer. And yes, the spousal method is almost useless  :)
Riley