Sail Cover Zipper Direction

Started by tjspiel, Mar 24, 2024, 04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjspiel

Probably not as controversial as 3M 5200 vs 4200 but I'm curious for those of you with sail covers (and zippers) if it zips from the bottom up or the top down?

Mine was starting to have issues at the end of the season last year so I want to replace it. It zips from the bottom up and I don't really like that but maybe there's a good reason?

DBthal

Tom,

My sail cover zips from the bottom up.

Dan
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

tjspiel

Quote from: DBthal on Mar 24, 2024, 04:42 PMTom,

My sail cover zips from the bottom up.

Dan

Dang, that probably means there's a good reason for it. I was hoping mine was just a mistake. :)

gary-s

Mine too zips from bottom up.  I apply a white "zipper lube" to it each spring.
Seems to run smoother after being lubed!

Riggerdood

Bottom up on mine too Tom, but not sure what advantage that would have over top down? Could be more secure that way, since the top has a wrap-around flap that covers the zipper slide when it's closed?

Now, as to 5200 vs 4200 ... nah, not goin' there!  :-X
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

tjspiel

Quote from: gary-s on Mar 24, 2024, 06:14 PMMine too zips from bottom up.  I apply a white "zipper lube" to it each spring.
Seems to run smoother after being lubed!

I was hoping some lube would fix mine too but it didn't. I have a real hard time getting it started and then it tends to split near the bottom after being zipped. It's a "coil" type zipper and I think some of the coils are bent. Tried straightening them but didn't help.

Riggerdood

Tom, one trick to fix zippers that split after being zipped is to gently compress the slide at the bottom, or narrow end, with pliers. Seems to work especially well for coil zippers.

tjspiel

Quote from: Riggerdood on Mar 25, 2024, 10:52 AMTom, one trick to fix zippers that split after being zipped is to gently compress the slide at the bottom, or narrow end, with pliers. Seems to work especially well for coil zippers.

Hey, I think that worked !

Riggerdood

Quote from: tjspiel on Mar 26, 2024, 10:08 PM
Quote from: Riggerdood on Mar 25, 2024, 10:52 AMTom, one trick to fix zippers that split after being zipped is to gently compress the slide at the bottom, or narrow end, with pliers. Seems to work especially well for coil zippers.

Hey, I think that worked !
Great! Of course, eventually the zipper and or slide will need to be replaced ...

Funny story about zippers. I went to The University of Akron in OH. UA's mascot is a silly looking kangaroo named Zippy, and all the sports teams are known as the Zips. Story goes that it got its name many, many years ago after they held a contest to name the mascot. The winner was Zippy, named for the fact that the name zipper was invented by the B. F. Goodrich Co., headquartered in Akron, for their rubber galoshes about 100 years ago. True story - hey, I couldn't make this stuff up!

twstoerzinger

My P-21 still has the original Precision sail cover. It zips bottom to top.

tjspiel

Quote from: twstoerzinger on Apr 05, 2024, 07:21 PMMy P-21 still has the original Precision sail cover. It zips bottom to top.

Sounds like that's pretty standard. Wonder why.