News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Is sailing "relaxing"?

Started by Captain Kidd, May 07, 2024, 07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Kidd

I posted on my Facebook page about my excursion up to Bear Trace. Several of my friends commented that it looked relaxing. Here was my response to the thought that sailing is relaxing.

Relaxing? Several comments mentioned relaxing. That's an interesting word. Is sailing a small, open, unballasted boat relaxing? It depends on how you define relaxing. Robin, for one, can't see it. Sailing involves work. Since this was an overnight trip, it took a while to load up - about 2+ hours getting everything together. There's the drive to the ramp and setup, another hour+. Then sailing in gusty wind requires constant attention. One wrong move and you can be taking an unplanned swim. Then what? Once you reach your destination and anchor, then you can begin "relaxing". But you still have to set up your tent without leaving your tiny boat. A little tricky. Now you can really kick back and relax. I took a small beach chair: worked perfectly. Feet up, cool breeze, moonrise, the whole nine yards. Then morning comes: got to stow all gear etc and get home. Unfortunately, little wind and what wind there was was right on the nose. Time to row. Two and a half hours steady rowing. Arms tired, butt sore. Finally get home and have to put everything away: a couple more hours. Relaxing? IDK. Will I do it again? You bet!

Timm R Oday25

I couldn't agree more . Whether diving or sailing .. there is a lot of work that goes into relaxing.

Riley Smith

I'll just say there are relaxing moments  :D  It's more like an expedition than a chill session!
Riley

Wolverine

My wife asks me that question every year.  She can't see how it can be relaxing with all the effort put into the setup and launching, but once we're underway, it's different. She often falls asleep on a cockpit bench.
1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

Norm L.

It is relaxing as you are getting away from some things that are even more unrelaxing.
It may not be relaxing but it can reduce stress.

Frank B.

Whenever I take non sailors out I tell them it could be serene or it could be chaotic, you never know what you are going to get.  But regardless I (or we if I have crew) know what we are doing and you will be safe.  Some love it others never want to go again.  Often it has to do with conditions on their first sail.

Riley Smith

My first sail on S R Cat....
The absolute first was on the schooner. We had taken it out of Destin on a sunset cruise, and a large ocean going schooner is much different than a tiny catboat. I did get to watch the handling of the gaffs and rigging, so it wasn't a total loss. The captain said he could put the handrails in the water if we were interested. Strangely, it was very chilly that particular evening and everyone was shivering on the way back in as the sun sank low. We pulled up to the local outside bar and had a volley with the cannon.

The first sail on the catboat was held at Kreb's Lake, which is a saltwater lake just above U S Hwy 90 on the backside of the city. You get to the ramp through a nice neighborhood, and that is another reason I like it. We'd gotten married on the front lawn of the museum up the street. Sonya grew up right down the road. I caught a whole ice chest of big white shrimp there late one night. It was Home. There is seldom rif-raf hanging, so it was also safe. And so we gathered, the three of us, Sonya, Craig, and I to put her to the test.

And immediately things started to go wrong. The worst being that the tiller wasn't locking in to keep the rudder from floating off the pintels. I formed a shim out of thin air and we got that corrected. A dash of champagne to celebrate and we were off, Sonya at the rudder and me at the halyards.

The wind was stiff out of the North and initially we couldn't get the gaff to peak. It was in procedure because of the two halyards, and I'd had not been able during the driveway sailing to see the effect of wind. The trick was to peak the gaff and keep it level or less as you did, and then tighten the leech of the sail with the peak halyard. And we were away, the green hull cutting the water and making a burble in the wake. Yeah, it was pretty nice. But the wind was gusty and I was worried about the rudder I'd cobbled together, and so we headed back in, my face hurting from the grin.
Riley

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Riley Smith on May 09, 2024, 12:24 PMAnd immediately things started to go wrong. The worst being that the tiller wasn't locking in to keep the rudder from floating off the pintels. I formed a shim out of thin air and we got that corrected.

Funny: first time I took out Little Bit my rudder floated off! I took my hanky, ripped off a corner and jammed it into the pintle/gudgeon and away I went. Bought one of those clip things for the next outing. Ha

Riley Smith

Yeah, and I attest that everything had fit PERFECT back at the shop. I think one of the brackets was out of line or something....it wasn't a big deal.
Riley

noelH

Relaxing is? When I'm in a deep sleep.  Or maybe after I'm dead?
Sage S15
 Vela

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Face hurting from a big grin...that's the best.

noelH

After yesterday.  One needs a relaxed state of mind to enjoy sailing. 

Maybe too relaxed or at least unfocused mind.  Arrived at the Marina ~1000.  Flapping lip time.  Didn't even park Vela until close to noon.  3 attempts. First two sites I couldn't drop the trailer jack down due to slight upwards slope at the hitch end. Then a sailing friend stopped by. Guess what.. Finally got down to setting up Vela. Forgot to clean and McLube the slug tack. Mast is up. Did I mentioned "relaxed". Hanked on the main. Raised it ~1/2 way. Lots of friction. Should of cleaned and lubed the track?  Nope. Main halyard barber poled around the mast. Also, noticed the topping lift line was running outside the starboard shroud. No big issues. I'm in a relaxed state of mind. No real wind. So raise the main and jib to make sure I didn't miss any slugs and hanks and didn't mess up running the reefing lines. All was good. And...wind! Lets go sailing.

Uneventful first launch of the season. Only issue is. The water level on western L. Superior is real low or there is a strong localized H and adjacent L pressure system.  Don't ever remember seeing some of the launch ramp that was visible. And my normally bit too long lines were a bit too short.  Had to tie them off on the toe rail of pier and haul my butt up. Normally just a tall step. All this should have been a more than subtle hint.

Fishing boat coming in so I gave it my normal wide spacing. Right into a slow motion (sub 1.5kt) grounding. Repeat of my first ever launch of Vela 7 seasons ago.  But that time I had to avoid two fishing boats coming in abreast. Definitely was not in a relaxed mind state back then. Some evil thoughts hit the brain. This time. Relaxed. Grounded less than 10 meters from the end of the launch ramp piers in front of the whole Marina crowd. Nothing exciting. I'm in a relaxed state of mind as eyeballs watch me thinking. Heeling Vela over didn't move her.  Must of really stuck the bulb keel into the muck. Good thing I had twin outboards mounted. Wasn't exactly how I planned to test the ePropulsion eLite. It alone at full reverse did nada. Torqeedo 1003 at about 3/4 full reverse sort of moved Vela. Must be a bit of suction in the muck.  Decided to add the thrust of the eLite.  Required 275 or the 500watt max to finally get Vela unstuck.

Sailing that day was relaxing. ENE breeze kept Vela cruising along at +4kts. 20-40 cm seas with just occasional white caps. Clear, dry, blue sky with a few "Simpson" clouds. Of course after I left the Bay the wind drops. Bit slow trip home. Bit on the hungry side. Didn't pack a lunch.  But Relaxing. 
Sage S15
 Vela