Great Vendor for Metal, Cut to Size

Started by Quantico Frank, Jul 29, 2024, 09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quantico Frank

Many of us have known and loved McMaster-Carr for a long time, and they're great and carry everything. As this rigger I know has said, "If they don't have it, you don't need it!"

But as far as I can tell, they don't cut pieces to size, which can be a big deal, especially when it comes to stainless steel. So I searched and found these folks:

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/

We have a local store in Alexandria, and they are going to cut 1" length 304 stainless for me to pick up at 11 this morning for about $23.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Riggerdood

I believe onlinemetals.com also cuts to size Frank. Might be worth comparing prices for future needs, but I don't believe they have any brick and mortar stores, and having that one so close sure is convenient. I found out a couple of years ago that McMaster Carr has a warehouse location just North of here, and have picked up my last few orders there.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Quantico Frank

Quote from: Riggerdood on Jul 29, 2024, 09:39 PMI believe onlinemetals.com also cuts to size Frank. Might be worth comparing prices for future needs, but I don't believe they have any brick and mortar stores, and having that one so close sure is convenient. I found out a couple of years ago that McMaster Carr has a warehouse location just North of here, and have picked up my last few orders there.

Checked their website and it looks like their locations are throughout the U.S. and Canada: https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/store-finder/, but they also ship.

I'm thinking if I had waited for RudderCraft, it would have taken longer (than 3hrs, lol), and been more expensive than $23 IF they would have sold me and had the separate gudgeons available.

BTW, the new pintles are on the way from Bill at Precision—- maybe another attempted splash into the Potomac end of this week! THEN I get to deal with the trailer issues. New wheels should be here Wednesday from eTrailer.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River