Clueless, rude or just don't care

Started by Brian N., Aug 05, 2024, 08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian N.

Took the boat out today - usual ramp and sailing venue. However, the number of idiots on the water was far greater than usual.
- Boats passing me on starboard and port, neither signals their intention or even makes eye contact with me or
  each other.
- young man on jet ski doing "loops" at top speed in a narrow channel. Also a "no wake" zone
- Boat backs out of ramp at high speed, continues backwards into channel, cutting in front of me, finally puts it
  forward ( I already slowed and blew my whistle) and proceeds at 20 knots (or more) wildly yawing from side to
  side
- Put down my lunch hook, sails eased, enjoying a peaceful lunch. Lots of sea room around me. 30 foot boat
   roars by 10 yards from my bow, giant wake and super loud engines. Again, lots of room around me.

Fair winds
Brian N.

Riggerdood

These days Brian, it seems to be a combination of all three ...  >:(

On the Catalina trip in June, right in the middle of the Santa Barbara Channel, with miles of open ocean in all directions, I had a huge pleasure cruiser cross my bows so close that I could tell what kind of beer the helmsman was drinking. Don't think he ever even saw me, but I saw him coming at a high rate of speed, and even though I had time to take evasive action, he was throwing up such a huge wake that even crossing it on an angle, Rum Line slammed down into the trough so hard I thought her back might have been broken.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Wolverine

"some days are diamond, some days are coal".

I know exactly what you went through.  Unfortunately any idiot can pilot a boat.  Many don't know they are criminally and civilly liable for the wake they make and any damage it causes.

I always use my horn when overtaking another sailboat. 1 short blast when passing to their starboard and 2 short blasts when passing to their port.  I've been hailed on the VHF many times by captains asking why I'm blasting my horn at them.
1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

Wolverine

Quote from: Riggerdood on Aug 05, 2024, 09:35 PMThese days Brian, it seems to be a combination of all three ...  >:(

On the Catalina trip in June, right in the middle of the Santa Barbara Channel, with miles of open ocean in all directions, I had a huge pleasure cruiser cross my bows so close that I could tell what kind of beer the helmsman was drinking. Don't think he ever even saw me, but I saw him coming at a high rate of speed, and even though I had time to take evasive action, he was throwing up such a huge wake that even crossing it on an angle, Rum Line slammed down into the trough so hard I thought her back might have been broken.

It is very difficult to see a sailboat with it's sails up.   :o

Quantico Frank

Reminds me of my days cycling, Brian. There's no doubt that cycling can be dangerous on a good day, but you combine that with someone who believes he has something to prove, and it can be deadly, or nearly so. I've had people follow right behind me at slow speed on an empty country two-lane road with plenty of room to pass, blowing their horn when I was riding within a couple of feet of the shoulder in a "no shoulder" situation.

Then there was the time when I was doing the same on a 55mph two lane highway when an 18-wheeler passed me at high speed within inches, blowing me off into the gravel. That time I was lucky to stay on my bike. In neither case was I "taking the lane," as you are legally allowed to do, to ride in the center of the lane. Sorry, but that's nothing but pure malice. There are some people out there who actually need professional help.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Riggerdood

Quote from: Wolverine on Aug 05, 2024, 09:41 PMIt is very difficult to see a sailboat with it's sails up.  :o
Especially if one is not looking in the first place.

Brian N.

The one that bothered me most were the two boats passing port and starboard at the same time and speed, no signals, no regard for the inherent danger, seemingly oblivious. Perhaps I should have blasted a danger signal on my whistle, but  I doubt their actions would have changed. The young man on the jet ski was just an as#$%@ and the guy who crossed my bow  I'll call it "poor judgement" to be polite.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Wolverine

In 2010 I sailed my Starwind 19 in the Keys for 6 weeks. Amazingly in all that time I only ran into 1 "boatjerk". A couple were headed in on a power cat at just the right speed to create a huge wake. I was thrown from the starboard cockpit bench head 1st into the port combing. A fisherman on the casting deck of his boat was tossed into the water. The operator of the cat had no idea what he had done, but his wife's eyes were like saucers as she watched me attempt to regain control of my little ship. The fisherman climbed aboard his boat and pursued the cat into a channel, while the cat never slowed down.  Boats in the channel were rocking terribly and the wake was cresting into backyards.
I assumed it was a rental or his 1st boat, but still...

Riggerdood

Quote from: Brian N. on Aug 06, 2024, 11:49 AMThe young man on the jet ski was just an as#$%@
Asshat Brian. You can say it ...  ;D

DBthal

We seem to be in peak vacation time with people having an opportunity to do "whatever they want...."  Forget everyone else.
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

noelH

Have a theory. The louder & more powerful the more clueless are the operators. Really wish I had a bazooka when those pseudo-offshore racing boats decide to circle you a few times. "Look at us", yes I'm looking at some morons.

A few days ago at the Marina ramp there was one of those type of boat launching. Tourist. There are signs posted "No POWER Launching". They can't read. The loud noise of their motors and the possible undercutting at the end of the concrete ramp was an issue. A live aboard sailor was not happy with them trying to power launch their boat.  He called the Marina office since the boater could care less of anyone else feelings. Person came out and kindly pointed out the signs. She left and they gave the live aboard the middle finger.  MORONS.
Sage S15
 Vela

Wayne Howard

I was up at Canyon Lake in the 80's scuba diving the lake. Well, this MORON in a power boat with open exhaust over the stern was gunning his engine in the cove where we were camping. Going around in tight circles and creating a heck of a wake. Well, he wasn't looking back at his wake and when he finally slowed down, the wake washed over his stern. Drowned the engine which didn't help because now MORE water came over the stern. The last I saw of his boat was the bow sticking out of the water before going under. Karma is sometimes instant.
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

tjspiel

Quote from: Wayne Howard on Aug 08, 2024, 09:49 PMI was up at Canyon Lake in the 80's scuba diving the lake. Well, this MORON in a power boat with open exhaust over the stern was gunning his engine in the cove where we were camping. Going around in tight circles and creating a heck of a wake. Well, he wasn't looking back at his wake and when he finally slowed down, the wake washed over his stern. Drowned the engine which didn't help because now MORE water came over the stern. The last I saw of his boat was the bow sticking out of the water before going under. Karma is sometimes instant.

Not that I'd wish that on anyone but it's really hard to feel bad for someone when sh*t happens because they were being an inconsiderate ass.

tjspiel

Sometimes it's ignorance, sometimes it's lack of consideration and other times it's people being jerks.

The lake I grew up on and learned to sail on is no longer a place I'd seriously consider sailing unless it was a week day (not evening) or during the shoulder seasons.

The boats have gotten huge and the number of them out during the Summer makes the narrow channel used to get out to the open water almost impassable under sail. Even with a motor it would be really unpleasant. It was hard enough 40 years ago when I was young.

noelH

Most years I avoid weekends. Tourist with their high powered "speed" boats. I hope for F4-6 winds and go wind foiling or windsurfing.

A few years ago an organization of these boats tried to have a "regatta" in this area. The City of Bayfield kindly suggested to go somewhere else. The National Park Service told them within 2nm of any of the National Lakeshore there is a noise level ordinance. Almost impossible to boat among the Apostle Is and not be within 2nm. Jet skis are outright banded within 2nm of any National Lakeshore land, islands. 

Couple years ago a couple launched a boat what might have been their first day. Nice speed boat with what a friend noted was a Volvo something stern drive.  We were taking a break between windsurfing sessions at Thompson's West End Park's next to the Washburn Boat Club ramps and docks. Onshore wind, bit of shore break. They didn't have any dock lines. The female tried to stand in the water holding this boat while the male parked the truck and trailer. Little hull grinding and pier bumping. She is fortunate not to get injured. Then the couple powered away and started doing loops that ventured into the swimming area. MORONS. There are two gaps to leave the boat landing area. Heading through the S gap you need to keep a S heading for a couple hundred feet beyond the "island" to avoid the just below surface piling from the long gone timber piers. The N gap requires the same. Except head N to avoid the just below surface rock piles off the island. MORON couple decided to head through the S. gap and do circles around the N. island. Guess what they hit on lap 2 or 3?
Sage S15
 Vela