Precision 21 WANTED HELP!

Started by eaglecreeksailor22, Aug 03, 2024, 09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglecreeksailor22

OK network, every body knows some body some place. Any one know of a P21 for sale within 250 miles of Indianapolis In. I scan every classified I know of daily. There is on on the out skirts of Milwaukee, FB market, place but I am not trailering around Chicago. Thanks in advance, Rich.

Quantico Frank

Rich, you might consider a video walk around before you buy for a boat that's more distant, and it's also possible to meet the seller midway to your place after the sale if he's willing to tow it that far. Lots of details have to be worked out, of course, but it's a possibility. Also, have you tried sailboatlistings.com?
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

eaglecreeksailor22

Thanks Frank, that is a new classifieds to add to my list. I had a P21 located in Michigan that I was working a video plus delivery but a local buyer got in the mix and I lost out.

My 17 yr old tow vehicle has 105K miles and am afraid a long distance might cost me a transmission, but I have a replacement ordered and should be here in 6 weeks. My towing range should increase then, but my desire to tow long range won't be. Trying to be patient but that does not come with old age (78) today.

Thanks, I always appreciate your input.

Rich

Wayne Howard

Happy Birthday, Rich!!!

Having the seller meet you halfway increases the odds of the trailer and tires being in good shape. After all, if he is willing to tow the boat to you the tires must be good and not dry rotted.

P21 weigh ~1900lbs from the factory. Add 300-400 lbs for food, anchors (Unless you're CB  ;D ), engine and fuel. And that's the weight to think about for towing. (Hopefully, you know all this stuff already.)
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Wolverine

When checking sailboatlistings.com, make note of the posting date as they don't remove old listings.
1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

eaglecreeksailor22

Thanks to all who responded. Yesterday 8/6/24 a P21 was listed 50 miles from my house at a better price than any listing I have seen this summer. Have an appointment to see Friday a.m. with cash in hand!

Thanks for the Birthday wish, I am 78 and two years away from being old! Sorry to all you 80+ folks, only playing.

Will give an update soon.

Rich

tjspiel

Quote from: eaglecreeksailor22 on Aug 07, 2024, 05:00 PMThanks to all who responded. Yesterday 8/6/24 a P21 was listed 50 miles from my house at a better price than any listing I have seen this summer. Have an appointment to see Friday a.m. with cash in hand!

Thanks for the Birthday wish, I am 78 and two years away from being old! Sorry to all you 80+ folks, only playing.

Will give an update soon.

Rich

Good luck with the boat and Happy Birthday !

eaglecreeksailor22

I did purchase the P21, the pictures used for the listing were not currant and it will need a lot of clean up inside and out. The owner will get it out and on the trailer, pressure wash the bottom and then I will meet him and assist in the break down and prepare for the road. The marina it is located at is in a very hilly area with about 15 miles to a major hi-way that I will travel. He has agreed to trailer it to "flat ground" at the hi-way then I have 45 miles to go with only one stop light and one 4-way stop.

My HOA allows boats and RV's a one week stay for spring and fall clean up/provisioning for the season, I will take advantage of that, then move it to its home at the sail club where I have a slip and have dry space for the winter.

150 genoa on a FF2, sail in good shape but Sun brella needs re-stiched, luckily local sail maker is a club member and takes good care of members. The main has about as much shape as a worn out T shirt, Hope to replace with a good used one this winter.
The best part it comes with a 2 yr old 5 hp 4 stroke Merc. and the galvanized trailer has been stored inside and has tongue ext.

All for now,

Rich

Riggerdood

Sounds like you worked out an amicable deal Rich. Enjoy!
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Quantico Frank

Quote from: eaglecreeksailor22 on Aug 10, 2024, 08:57 AMThe owner will get it out and on the trailer, pressure wash the bottom and then I will meet him and assist in the break down and prepare for the road.

Rich, sounds like you're on your way! I would just recommend that you look over the trailer tires to see if there's any dry rot. Hopefully there isn't any. If there is, the wheels on a P21 trailer may be large enough that an auto shop might be able to replace the tires on their existing rims. They're so small on a P165 trailer that I couldn't find a shop that could deal with them in my area when I replaced mine so I bought a couple of wheels that were already mounted on rims from eTrailer. They were less than $150 for the pair.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

eaglecreeksailor22

Thanks Frank, the tires have been replaced and one of the old tires and wheel kept as a spare. I bought a new tire/wheel for the 165 on FB market place from a local for $25, great deals to be had with patience.

I hope to get the sails checked and stitched up where needed and in the water by mid September to enjoy fall sailing. No time constraints at the club I belong. Pulled out last year early November then back in this spring in March. Always a small group sail Thanksgiving day, thats pushing it for me. I have pulled with snow/rain mix in the air, once was enough, I don't like to be cold.

Any suggestions for a good used main sail for the P21?

Thanks for your input, always helpful,
Rich