Tobermory, Kincardine, Bayfield, Port Sanilac

Started by rfrance0718, Aug 24, 2024, 10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfrance0718

Lots of sailing! 165 miles in 3 days. Tobermory to Kincardin was a 76 miles sleigh ride. The northerly that had been blowing up to 30 kts for the prior 3 days let up to 15 on Wednesday. Time to go. Waves were about 4 ft with wind right behind me. I actually managed to get my auto helm to participate! There were about 5 of us making the same trip. They mostly sailed jib alone, but I found better balance wing on wing, an ran the motor, more to help with steering. That worked all day and I was even able to go below and read for long stretches. I had left at 6:00 and pulled in at about 8:30. Long day.

Kincardin to Bayfield was frustrating. Getting out of the harbor involved about 12 kts of breeze and 3 ft rollers right on the nose. My 6 hp Tohatsu was up to the task, and before long I was sailing close hulled with a reefed main and full jib, making great time. That lasted for about 1/2 hour and it was motor sailing and pinching for the next 5 hours, and then just motoring for the last 3 hours. That run was 45 miles. My new friends in their 36 Pearson beat me by an hour. They helped me dock and made a spicy chicken, rice, and bean dish for dinner.

The next morning I got up and walked up a scenic path into the village. Bayfield is picturesque, lush, and prosperous. My friends, Eric and Annie, were staying for a couple of days, and I would have liked to, but I want to get home. After waiting until 8:00, for the grocery and the gas dock open, I was on my way at 8:30. This was probably the prettiest sail of the whole trip. It was another 45 miles across the lake to Lexington Michigan, in bright sunshine, with moderate temps, and beautiful breeze. It started closed hulled, a bit below the rhumb line, but a continual lift had me reaching by 3:00. Sunce I wasn't sure of what the wind might bring I didn't call for a dock until then, and they ended up being full. The next town north is Port Sanilac, and at that point I was 10 miles from either harbor, and they had docks. That added 10 miles to today's route, but I can live with that.

Now I'm heading towards Port Huron where I'll fill my gas tanks and get some ice. I'll continue on down the St Clair River, with its favorable current to an anchorage near it's mouth. I can just now see the Blue Water bridge, connecting the U.S. and Canada. It's 12 miles out.

Tomorrow will be another big day and the trip will be nearly concluded. It's been a lovely cruise!

Wolverine

1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

Timm R Oday25

I could picture most of your trip . I certainly agree about Bayfield being quite beautiful this time of year

Spot

Quote from: Timm R Oday25 on Aug 28, 2024, 12:19 PMI could picture most of your trip . I certainly agree about Bayfield being quite beautiful this time of year

I am not as comceptual as Timm ... please post pictures!  ;D
Big dreams, small boats...