News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Is it going to start?

Started by Frank B., Sep 03, 2024, 12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank B.

Cleaned meticulously, about a hundred bucks worth of new parts that required five weeks to get here, reassembled with only minor cussing and with the comment"gee I wish I had taken a picture of that when disassembling". No parts left over, one dirt dauber nest removed from the breather hose. The choke, throttle control all work freely.

Next step dumping the old gas in my truck (standard procedure if it has six months in the tank) and a fill up with fresh gas with Seafoam Marine pro.

I will report success or failure later.  Did I mention that I hate outboard motors.

You cannot view this attachment.

Timm R Oday25

I ask myself that everytime I get near an outboard .
Why do they start so easily ina barrel at home and not out on the lake ?
This is where our government funded research should be looking into.
What really gets my goat is all the small gas driven engines I have in the barn and garage that start so easily .
My 2 stroke Echo powerhead that has 5 differant attachments always starts second pull .
Pushmowers , chainsaws ,weedwackers ,chippers and log splitters all start easily .
Even after sitting outside for months !
I'm pulling for you !

Charles Brennan

Quote from: Frank B. on Sep 03, 2024, 12:51 PMNo parts left over
Frank, I've always regarded leftover parts as proof of improved engineering! ;D

Charles Brennan

Norm L.

There is nothing to it. Just follow the instructions.

You cannot view this attachment.

I sent this to our new boss who is ex-USN helicopter pilot and asked if this was the training he got. He replied yes.

Frank B.

Well it started and ran smoothly.;D And all was well until I noticed nothing coming out of the cooling system pee hole. Shut it down and made sure the hole was not plugged. :'(   So here we go, order an impeller kit and pull the lower unit.  Have I recently mentioned I hate small outboard motors. I know it was pumping before I put it up, but it has been sitting up for over a year.

Riley Smith

Infernal ( adj./ relating to or characteristic of hell or the underworld) machine. The impeller on the Nissan wasn't too hard but you had to be careful because instead of a KEY to fix it to the shaft, it had a tiny BALL. So easy to lose and so aggravating to install. Yes, infernal.
Riley

Frank B.

Quote from: Riley Smith on Sep 06, 2024, 07:49 AMInfernal ( adj./ relating to or characteristic of hell or the underworld) machine. The impeller on the Nissan wasn't too hard but you had to be careful because instead of a KEY to fix it to the shaft, it had a tiny BALL. So easy to lose and so aggravating to install. Yes, infernal.

This Suzuki has a keyway and key and I've changed the impeller on it before.  Not too hard.  It is the 9.9 converted to a 15 that is on my skiff.  The other machine from hell, the sailboat kicker is a Nissan 6 hp Sail Pro and it has a very tiny round pin as the keeper which will fall off the bench and roll to the ends of my shop under the most difficult machine to move.  The extra long shaft also makes it difficult to line up the shaft when reassembling.  I stopped, on the way to Nashville a week ago, and started that motor and it was fine.  However, it is always fine at the dock, it will show its true colors when I'm out on the lake and the wind is nowhere to be found. :o