Launch day fo new to me P21

Started by eaglecreeksailor22, Sep 06, 2024, 08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglecreeksailor22

Purchased 3 weeks ago, spent a week at home doing cleanup (have a 0ne week grace period from HOA yearly) then moved to sail club where it will stay year round.
Sails needed some attention from local repair person and got he call last eve that was complete. Off this a.m. 
put them on and launch, probably won't sail today due to weather coming in, main goal get it in its wet slip.

Will measure head sail to compute actual size in percentage to apply for PHRF rating at club.

Also TALBOT answered my call for wanting a good used main sail and that should be on its way from Oregon to Indiana soon. Will stay in the water till maybe early November weather permitting, love fall sailing.

Follow up report later today.

Take care all,
Rich

eaglecreeksailor22

All went well, no skinned knuckles or bruises. Did not have time to sail but did motor up the cove and back to see how the Suzuki 2.5 would do on this amount of weight. Happy to say can't see needing to run more than half throttle. The Merc 5hp sail power that came with the boat needs some attention, not getting enough fuel above fast idle. Winter project. Hope to get out a couple times this week.

tjspiel

Congratulations !

I've come to appreciate Fall more as I've gotten older. Plenty of good sailing left this year.

Quantico Frank

Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Captain Kidd

Glad you got her out. Hoping you'll enjoy her.

Was up your way 2 Saturdays ago and thought about you (Bargersville). One of these days I'll have to get over to Eagle Creek.

I put a Honda 2.3 on my Hunter which goes about 1600 lbs according to sailboatdata. Only had it out once. Pushed it along nicely. Wondering how it would do in a seaway, headwind or current. Might find out soon. Going to P'cola Bay/Santa Rosa Sound in October.

RobP21

Congratulations and have fun, we have enjoyed our P21 for three years now.

eaglecreeksailor22

Quote from: Captain Kidd on Sep 08, 2024, 05:50 PMGlad you got her out. Hoping you'll enjoy her.

Was up your way 2 Saturdays ago and thought about you (Bargersville). One of these days I'll have to get over to Eagle Creek.

I put a Honda 2.3 on my Hunter which goes about 1600 lbs according to sailboatdata. Only had it out once. Pushed it along nicely. Wondering how it would do in a seaway, headwind or current. Might find out soon. Going to P'cola Bay/Santa Rosa Sound in October.
Several of the race group are running the Honda 2.3 on boats up to 2000 lbs. You should be in good shape on 1600 lbs.
Your trip sound like great fun, please post about it.

Brian N.

I deal with big tides and often headwinds too while motoring out. My Honda 2HP is more than adequate. However the P165 loaded is under 1000 pounds. Dave Gerr in his book "The Nature of Boats" recommends 2HP for every 1000 pounds displacement. While I could see the smaller Honda or Suzuki pushing a 1600 pound boat, I would opt for slightly more HP for waves, wind and current. 
Fair winds
Brian N.

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Brian N. on Sep 09, 2024, 12:24 PMI deal with big tides and often headwinds too while motoring out. My Honda 2HP is more than adequate. However the P165 loaded is under 1000 pounds. Dave Gerr in his book "The Nature of Boats" recommends 2HP for every 1000 pounds displacement. While I could see the smaller Honda or Suzuki pushing a 1600 pound boat, I would opt for slightly more HP for waves, wind and current. 

The boat came with a Yamaha 4hp motor. Unfortunately I crushed it! Ugh!!! I sail mostly on inland lakes. I came across this brand new never been wet Honda for a ridiculous price. Couldn't pass it up.  I think the 2.3 will do for normal use. But the question remains regarding bigger waters. I'll just have to exercise an extra bit of caution.